Quéstions

cobraii74x

Aug 27, 2003
Altoona, PA
I have a '74 with a 302.
First, I was wondering what Automatic transmissions would fit under the it ?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows about some rearends that will fit under the II with ease( i heard about the ol' broncos, thanks tim )

I really appreciate the help :)

• Sponsors (?)

C4 auto
9 inch from a Lincoln Versailles, 65/66 Mustang, and I think early Bronco are the right widths, they just need the spring perches relocated, and if you get a Bronco rear end, you will want to change out the axles for a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. (they come with a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern)

COBRAIIW said:
With the c-4 you need the small bellhousing/torque convertor setup.
not just any c-4 will fit.

It will fit, it just doesn't leave tons of room. My brothers 302 74 has the 157 tooth flywheel/bell setup. We got it with the stock V8 manifolds, which cleared fine. Then we put on the Headman Hedders made for the V8 MII, and they cleared the larger bell setup as well. Now, he's putting on the Hooker Super Comp headers, so he's switching to the MII flywheel/bell setup so he has clearance for them.

jim6577 said:
80 mph at 2000 RPM and 28 mpg? thats not a PITA to me!

Howd you get 28mph!?!? What engine do ya have?
Im lucky to get 18 (but then its a carbed 351W, and my foots in it all the time)

Im not complaining about the drivability of the AOD, I think its a god-send.

But My trans tunnel and engine bay (74) are so small, I had to install the trans from below. I still cant find an exhaust shop crazy enough to work on it, so I have 7" of pipe right off the manifolds.
It was a benchpressing match in and out and in and out and back in, followed by a lot of prying, pounding, bruising, deep cuts, bleeding knuckles, swearing, and overall a really bad mood for about 2 months. So the install really sucked.

But I will admit, when I set the TV cable too loose, The second tranny went in a little easier. (I payed someone WAYYYY too much to do it for me) :rolleyes:

Is the result worth it? . . . it is now :nice: (I love being at 110 with the motor screamin, with me friends 442 right next to me, and I shift into the next gear where he's topped out)

. . . but in hindsight Just do a T5 swap if you really want overdrive. it is a little easier. IMHO

just to stay a little off topic here, I've never found low rpms to help mpg at all w/ my 351W. When I switched from the C4 auto w/ 2.73 gears to a Tremec 5spd w/ 3.08 gears, I went from 13mpg freeway to 13mpg freeway. Same difference after switching to 3.70 rear gears.