Interior and Upholstery Quarter window not meshing with new motor.

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
midwestern america
I thought my quarter window had burned out. It was getting voltage but not moving at all.

Pulled the motor, swapped the mount, installed new motor, and it does not work. Mess with it and I can get the gear to mesh for one way and then it’ll slip out.

After inspection, I found the gear seams to sit about 1/8-1/4” out from where the factory one does. I’ve also noticed the regulator has a lot of in and out play.

Lastly , I found that my original motor did work, I reinstalled it, and it works, so im
Thinking something was hung up.

Before I send the motors back, I’d that amount of difference gonna matter?

I know my lower guide mounts are shot, will this let the regulator have play?

Any guesses what would cause it to get stuck down with a good motor?

The window motor bushings are brand new.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Don't know if this will help or not but, here's a pic of the LR quarter window regulator for a '93 'vert. Mine broke so I found this on Ebay and installed it. At least you can see what it looks like.......

P1010003_zpsrckqqk3h.jpg

I don't know. The car is long gone however, IIRC it was fairly tight with not much play. If you have play on the shaft, for the part with the teeth, it's gonna move in and out which may cause it to disengage with the motor teeth. Don't know which side is your problem area but there's a pass side regulator on Ebay for fairly cheap..............................

I thought my quarter window had burned out. It was getting voltage but not moving at all.

Pulled the motor, swapped the mount, installed new motor, and it does not work. Mess with it and I can get the gear to mesh for one way and then it’ll slip out.

After inspection, I found the gear seams to sit about 1/8-1/4” out from where the factory one does. I’ve also noticed the regulator has a lot of in and out play.

Lastly , I found that my original motor did work, I reinstalled it, and it works, so im
Thinking something was hung up.

Before I send the motors back, I’d that amount of difference gonna matter?

I know my lower guide mounts are shot, will this let the regulator have play?

Any guesses what would cause it to get stuck down with a good motor?

The window motor bushings are brand new.
I am having the same issue. Thanks for diagnosing it for me. According to you the new motor shaft is shorter than the old one allowing it to slip off. This thread shows no fix for this issue.

I have emailed with LMR who I bought the motors from and the response was I've worked here for etc. years blah blah blah and have never heard of this problem our parts are great etc. there must be something wrong with your car etc. we have soo many good reviews etc..... So I sent them pictures. Yes you can see from my picture on the new motor that he ruler is not all the way down, my bad.. but the damn this still doesn't stick out far enough to catch a good grip on the window regulator gear. I am sure that LMR will say my pictures are crap and I'll have to re-do the picture even though its obvious that the parts are different.

Ok. So the problem on mine came back. I tried the new motor again and I just don’t see how this motor could work. The gear sits nearly 1/8th an inch too far in. I dunno if it’s the gear or the way the mount sits.

After putting my motor back on about 1400 different times it it falling off track constantly, I ended up pulling my whole regulator out . I believe there are 3.5 issues at play here.

1. The regulator is very old and very worn. I can see where different bushings used to be but are long gone and I don’t see how these parts could be replaced.

1.5 the missing bushings caused areas to rub that normally would not. These areas needed some lube.

2. The hole that the motor gear sits in had gotten bent. I assume this happened while I was putting the motor in. If it’s not 100% in the hole before you crank it down, you risk b musing it.

3. The guide for the regulator gear was also bent out. I had to use a punch to keep the shape, otherwise I’d risk pushing the gear too far back.

See pics below for the bent areas.

Attachments

• 4FCDD12F-3056-41D4-BD7A-64228B7F5D23.jpeg
    4FCDD12F-3056-41D4-BD7A-64228B7F5D23.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 66817DC1-7CD3-4DA8-85AF-C27B7AA47A16.jpeg
    66817DC1-7CD3-4DA8-85AF-C27B7AA47A16.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 33
  • 8C248211-CE1D-449A-A424-4D20108321E4.jpeg
    8C248211-CE1D-449A-A424-4D20108321E4.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 34