Quest for suspension improvements

dubbsix

Oct 18, 2006
Katy,TX
Guys,

Im new to fox's and have to ask you all a question:

Im looking to upgrade the suspension on my newly acquired 89 LX 5.0. The bushings are in good condition so im looking for a nice spring/strut/shock combo that will give me improved handling over stock and fair well at the drag strip. Im looking for a nice blend of high speed handling and weight transfer.. does such a combo exist?

Also, could anyone recommend a good suspension combo/kit?

• Sponsors (?)

What kinda budget are you on? If it doesn't have them already get subframe connectors reguardless. Then I would upgrade the rear upper and lower control arms. I found you can't go wrong with Eibach springs (they makes all sorts of applications for the Fox). Keep in mind if you want to lower the car that lowering it will hurt the drag strip times.

If you don't have subframe connectors get those first, absolute required. A strut tower brace would help too.

I've done both of those recently and I was supprised how much more solid and stable the car feels. Even just crusing at 70 on the interstate.

dubbsix said:
Uh oh... wait a minute.. will these components fit a 89 LX 5.0 ?

I'm doing it on my 89 but i'm putting on 94-95 spindles. I know the struts/shocks for 87-93 and 94-04 are different, but I'm not sure exactly what is changed. The springs are the same, they are just FMS C springs in that kit.

Someone with more knowledge of the spindle/strut changes in SN cars should be able to answer this question. I think the only question is will 94-04 struts fit 87-93 4-lug spindles.

(I'm assuming you still have 4-lug)

I did some searching since i'm curious. The general consensus seems to be that SN95 struts have less travel and won't work very well on lowered (which that kit would do) 87-93 spindles.

They do work fine on lowered 94+ spindle cars because the strut mounting location is different. I found a few people doing what i'm doing (bullitt suspension on 87-93 cars with 94-95 spindles and it's working well).

So I guess I wouldn't go with that kit if you have stock 4-lug stuff. I would just piece together some FMS B or C springs with some KYB struts or something for cheap.

Snikt89GT said:

The best place overall to get that kit is from PPI as they still had Original Bullitt pieces and not stuff thrown together from Mach 1s and Cobras. I have the Bullitt stuff on my car along with the SN95 Cobra Brakes, it lowered the car almost an inch up front and about 3/4" out back, the ride height came out perfect for the kind of roads here.

Shakerhood said:
The best place overall to get that kit is from PPI as they still had Original Bullitt pieces and not stuff thrown together from Mach 1s and Cobras. I have the Bullitt stuff on my car along with the SN95 Cobra Brakes, it lowered the car almost an inch up front and about 3/4" out back, the ride height came out perfect for the kind of roads here.

PPI has them for 399$ right now but they want like 50-60$ for shipping. Summit has them for 420$ with free shipping.

Shakerhood said:

Did you do the M-3075-A control arms on your car? I decided just to go with those instead of worrying about buying the balljoints and bushings and pressing/having them pressed in. Summit had the control arms for 220$ shipped.

I ordered new control arm bolts/nuts and the .330 balljoint spacer from breeze automotive.

This damn 5-lug/suspension project changes every time I turn around. I think the only piece i'm not replacing in the suspension is the K-member and rear UCAs.

Snikt89GT said:
Did you do the M-3075-A control arms on your car? I decided just to go with those instead of worrying about buying the balljoints and bushings and pressing/having them pressed in. Summit had the control arms for 220$ shipped.

I ordered new control arm bolts/nuts and the .330 balljoint spacer from breeze automotive.

This damn 5-lug/suspension project changes every time I turn around. I think the only piece i'm not replacing in the suspension is the K-member and rear UCAs.

Yes while I had my Suspension apart I went ahead and got the M-3075-A Lower A Arms. The reason I recommended PPI for the Bullitt Pieces is because they have actually Bullitt Suspension pieces, the kit from Summitt is just going to be stuff that is pieced together from Mach 1s, Cobras, and probably just Bullitt Swaybars which you cant use anyways.