Question about 1999 - 2004 V6...

FrankenStang

Now, give me a damn CT!
15 Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Florence, Az
If a part (more specifically a ram air intake) is listed for a '99 - '02 Mustang, will it work on an '04?

Are the '04 V6 engines identical to the '99 - '02's?

The one in question is a 3.9 btw, not 3.8.

• Sponsors (?)

It may or may not work.I can't be certain.Most of the brackets and sensors on the 99-03 are the same as the 04's and also in the same position.The only difference on the 04's are the bore and stroke which comes out to 236 CI instead of 232.It also has IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control).I know that when I looked online for a cold air intake that some kits were for 99-03's only.I don't know why that is.Something has to be a bit different.

What is the name of the Ram Air kit that you are looking at specifically? And is it a Shaker Hood type Ram Air?

The V6 forums are quite dead.How sad :nonono:

A friend of mine is a tech at the Ford dealer here, in Belleville, Ontario. I asked him, and he said that the "new" 3.9 came out a year early. It was for the '05 V-6 Mustang. It has a couple of different sensors (he wasn't sure which ones off the top of his head), but the block is the same, just bored a bit. The stroke, as mentioned above, was increased slightly too. This was to give a few more horses to the new '05 Mustangs.

A friend of mine is a tech at the Ford dealer here, in Belleville, Ontario. I asked him, and he said that the "new" 3.9 came out a year early. It was for the '05 V-6 Mustang. It has a couple of different sensors (he wasn't sure which ones off the top of his head), but the block is the same, just bored a bit. The stroke, as mentioned above, was increased slightly too. This was to give a few more horses to the new '05 Mustangs.

The '05 V6's had the 4.0.Same engine as the V6 Explorer.I know this because I worked as a tech at a Ford dealership for 3 1/2 years.Sorry but I had to call foul on this one.Your details however are correct for the 3.9 engine.If you read my post above you would see that I had noted the differences.

Posted via Mobile Device