Question about heat soak...

Spent Saturday down at Muncie Dragway in Muncie, IN. Here are my slips, and just curious if anybody else's car slows as much given the engine temp. Ambient temp. was around 53-58 deg. F

60' 1/8 et 1/8 mph 1/4 et 1/4 mph
1st pass: Nearly cold, trailered to the track 1:48 PM
1.859 8.331 83.72 12.998 106.01
2nd pass: 2:38 PM
1.755 8.304 82.90 13.036 104.44
3rd pass: 4:09 PM
1.836 8.394 83.27 13.094 105.11
4th pass: 5:51 PM
1.823 8.370 82.61 13.115 104.09
5th pass: 6:30 PM
1.884 8.506 83.01 13.267 103.78
6th pass: 6:57 PM (on the brakes 'cause of the sandbagger I raced)
1.857 8.493 82.61 13.577 85.17
7th pass: 7:19 PM
1.856 8.494 82.90 13.257 103.81
8th pass: 7:38 PM (on the brakes again)
1.918 8.550 83.04 13.341 97.11
9th pass: 7:51 PM Final round dialed 13.25, got treed and lost by .060 sec.
1.879 8.500 82.86 13.254 103.85

I got runner up and brought back $60, first time I've been in the money. Anyway, just curious if the dropoff is common, or what? Sorry for the long post, just had to put it all in and don't have a scanner available at the moment. Thanks for any input!!! :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

its possible. your first pass was the best 1/4 time but not that good of a 60'. how were your reaction times? i see you had better 60' times with worse 1/4 times, did you bog at all?

No. Heatsoak is a term for turbo'd/supercharged cars when they run back to back or non-stop for too long a time or something.

#1 You are running n/a - so heatsoak doesn't apply.
#2 Even a turbo'd or spchgd vehicle would have had plenty of time to cool with your space between runs.

Heatsoak applies to many things, even non-automotive applications. I think maybe I used the wrong term, but you get my meaning. I lost between 2 and 3 tenths from a cool engine to a normal operating temp. engine.

ProKiller: The first run actually lightly hazed the tires. Other than that I'd say it was pretty consistent on my technique. Leave on the second yellow at around 3000 and ride the clutch for about 10 feet until I matted it. My reaction times were:

.115 against -.010
.021 against -.019 (same guy, he bought back in)
.205 against .113
.028 against .000
.143 against .501
.156 against .052

Heatsoak in relation to automobiles would not apply to your car. I have driven all types of cars including turbo. Heatsoak is when the car slows down significantly because of many times lack of an intercooler in case of a turbo.

Ok, so you are suggesting minor heatsoak for lack of a better term. What you are really talking about is probably the intake temperatures going up mildly in an n/a application like they do in any car. When you ran your car on the first run, the intake was cold. After that, it was hot for the rest of the night.

If you ice down your intake b4 each run (bag o ice), then you will counteract the heat problem. Heatsoaked cars are getting extremely heated all the way downthrough the block. That is not the case with your car which is why the iced intake will work.

Your times were pretty consisitant which says you are a good driver. Although your time diffrence could have been attributed to traction or any other variable. Icing your manifold would have probablygotten you 12.7-8.

I'm not gonna get in the definition or word thing and just say ..........

Yes ... if your car is too hot between runs ...........

Your results will suffer :(

A few things you can do ........

Keep the hood up
Use a fan to cool things down
Use some ice on the intake
Circulate your coolant through a heat exchanger

Just come up with something to take the heat away between passes

Grady

Just lift the hood and blow on it in between runs, lol. :jester: :SNSign:

BTW, I wasn't trying to be a meany or anything. I know typed text can be impersonal. I was just defining the word as normally used in automotive "venues." I like to argue points but not at people if you know what I mean. good luck!

Pokageek said:
Just lift the hood and blow on it in between runs, lol. :jester: :SNSign:

BTW, I wasn't trying to be a meany or anything. I know typed text can be impersonal. I was just defining the word as normally used in automotive "venues." I like to argue points but not at people if you know what I mean. good luck!

No problem, I think I just said something I didn't quite mean. The car was up to temp, and I lost 3 tenths, that was my point. I will say that if I was shooting for the quickest ET, I definitely would have been icing the intake and such, but I was looking for consistency. Since the conditions pretty much stayed the same all day, other than a crosswind for the earlier runs, I got lucky.

MisterCMK: I don't know what DA stands for, but if it's a weather term for density or something like that, I have no clue. Let me know!

Thanks again for the replies, it's nice to make a post where nothing is broken and you don't have to get help to fix it. lol :rlaugh:

Those times are definately nothing to complain about as far as being consistant. I don't really think heat was much of a factor in your variances. But, you could do what I have seen many racers do. Get a 2 gal. hand pump pressure sprayer from Home Depot and use it to spray water on your radiator in between rounds. Also, one of those spacers between the upper and lower intake could help.

I use the manual fan bypass. My car will actually run cooler in the staging lanes idling with the fan on high than any other time. Can't get much more consistant temps than that.

It sits on the O in normal everytime I do it... unless I've just sprayed the car and got right back in line to run again. I've had it not had time to catch up, but it's rare.

Great runs!

gcomfx.com said:
I use the manual fan bypass. My car will actually run cooler in the staging lanes idling with the fan on high than any other time. Can't get much more consistant temps than that.

It sits on the O in normal everytime I do it... unless I've just sprayed the car and got right back in line to run again. I've had it not had time to catch up, but it's rare.

Great runs!

Thanks! I've never had this car overheat on me, the highest it usually reads is right at the O, and that's how it was Saturday, even on the last two passes which were pretty close together.

JJ95GTID: It has the 1" intake spacer, but I've yet to really tell that it makes a difference. After the engine is up to temp, the upper is still too warm to lean against if you're doing any tinkering.

One other little tidbit about my driving, I power shift at 5500 on the stock tach, with the MSD limiter set at 5800. The tire pressures were low because I was a little lazy and didn't up them, I ran at 8-10 pounds all day. The last time out, at a test and tune on another track, they were set at 15 and the traction just wasn't there (probably due to the track and the temp being at 85*). Thanks for listening to my rambles!

Scott