Question about my exhaust set-up in jersey

PeteyAce

Jul 2, 2004
i moved to keansburg nj bout 6 months ago, but i still have everthing of mine going to staten island ny, my insurance license registration. so to anyone im still a ny state resident. question is i got o/r h pipe so could a nj cop give me a ticket for my exhuast (if too loud or what not) even though im a ny state resident technically?

• Sponsors (?)

i believe so, be careful NJ is infamous for having highway emission tester units, basically they sit on the highway and stop cars left and right and test emissions right there :(

Its a $1000 fine for no Catalytic Converters I believe, at least that is what my dad said (he's a police captain) I will try to ask him about your question but once again I believe you can get a ticket.

I dont think so. . it would be like having tint with NY plates, a NJ cop cannot give you a ticket, give you a bull**** warning, but not a ticket-because tint in NY is legal. but im not sure about emissions crap, I still dont think so though! I think that may be only applicable to the residents of the state being implemented in... Like if your from FL, ya dont need 2 plates, just one-A NY cop-cannot give you a ticket for that-being in FL that is there law. get it.

Ant

True, But in certain states such as Florida, there is no emmsions, so each state is different. i dont think a NJ cop can even stop for that check. i would be more inclined to see them stop NJ vehicles with jersey tags. Im pretty sure, not 100% though.

monte87 said:
True, But in certain states such as Florida, there is no emmsions, so each state is different.

Wrong. I lived in FL for over 20 years and yes, there is no emissions testing (there is in Jacksonville and other large areas of the state), but it IS ILLEGAL NOT TO HAVE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ON ANY CAR THAT CAME WITH THEM FROM THE FACTORY. Anywhere in the USA. Just because they don't *test* for it does not mean it is LEGAL to take them off. It's a VERY large fine if you are caught without them.... But in FL you have a slim to no chance of being caught... sooooooooo take your chances... I sure the hell did lol.

PoopDawg said:
Wrong. I lived in FL for over 20 years and yes, there is no emissions testing (there is in Jacksonville and other large areas of the state), but it IS ILLEGAL NOT TO HAVE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ON ANY CAR THAT CAME WITH THEM FROM THE FACTORY. Anywhere in the USA. Just because they don't *test* for it does not mean it is LEGAL to take them off. It's a VERY large fine if you are caught without them.... But in FL you have a slim to no chance of being caught... sooooooooo take your chances... I sure the hell did lol.

Weld the factory Heat Shields from your stock H-Pipe onto the Off-Road Pipe so they could never tell???

Sounds pretty simple to me.

you have to obey the laws of the land no matter where you are.

unless they have a decible meter, you should have no problem fighting that type ticket in court.

my cuz lives in Leonardo, he got pinched for a modified exhaust