question about the mustang II

goodfella619

Feb 28, 2004
What Up Guys!
I recently came into possesion of a 1977 mustang II. It has a 302, V8 engine.
I am very interested in restoring it, i love her she is beautiful. I have one burning question. Everytime i research the mustang II i get responses about the cobra II as well. Im not as big on cars as i would like to be. Therefor i offer this question. Is there a difference between the mustang II and Cobra II, if so please enlighten me. :shrug:
Goodfella619

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, more new II owners :nice:

Welcome to the II forum, The Cobra II and King Cobras were special packages offered on the Mustang IIs. These cars are the most in demand today, especially the King for it's limited production. Bascially they were hatchbacks equipped with the front and rear spoilers (front dam on the King Cobras), special graphics and badging, and side window louvres (except the T-top cars). I believe mechanically there isn't any additional components that weren't optional on other Mustang IIs (I could be wrong).

Nice thing with your '77, if its a hatchback you can install a front spoiler and still be correct as it was an option.

There are members here that are far more knowledgble in IIs than I am, I'm sure they can help you out more with this and other questions.

Cheers :)

Francis "Turbo II"

Turbo II said:
Wow, more new II owners :nice:

Welcome to the II forum, The Cobra II and King Cobras were special packages offered on the Mustang IIs. These cars are the most in demand today, especially the King for it's limited production. Bascially they were hatchbacks equipped with the front and rear spoilers (front dam on the King Cobras), special graphics and badging, and side window louvres (except the T-top cars). I believe mechanically there isn't any additional components that weren't optional on other Mustang IIs (I could be wrong).

Nice thing with your '77, if its a hatchback you can install a front spoiler and still be correct as it was an option.

There are members here that are far more knowledgble in IIs than I am, I'm sure they can help you out more with this and other questions.

Cheers :)

Francis "Turbo II"

Cobra II had door panels inside labled as cobra II rather than mustang II

77sleeper said:
welcome to you as well, 2 newbs in one day, this has to be a record.

for the most part the only part of the cobra that you could not get as an option on a normal II was a sticker package.

So, I'm thinkin im the first today (feb 29) or was i the second?? cant really tell! technically im not a newb yet, cuz i dont own this one i am talking about, however I am not new to the II crowd, my father has a few in his poss. one of which he is restoring cuz it is a '78 king cobra! :nice:

zwhitr said:
Cobra II had door panels inside labled as cobra II rather than mustang II

'76s and most '77s had the brushed applique' with the cobra II ornament, however, some '77s had the brushed applique' with the running pony. Some talk has been talked about only Motortown Cobra IIs getting the "COBRA II"door panel ornament, but I don't know for sure.

No '78s had the brushed door panels, they just had the regular panel, or the deluxe, depending on which interior package was spec'd out.