Question for convertible owners + a few other ??'s

Okay I just got a 92 covertible GT and man this car is immaculant (sp)....Okay I have a few questions.

1. Coming from the top corners of the rear quarter windows I can hear a considerable amount of air coming in when I am on the freeway. Is this normal or a sign I have to replace the rubber back there. And how much air do you guys here on yours?

2. The car is solid white with a blacktop and solid black interior with leather. My question is: Did mustang release a solid black on black color scheme for the interior? I have never seen a mustang with solid interior. The dash is always 2 tone red and gray or something. Dude said it was original.

Here is the tech question.
3. When driving in OD when I let offf the gas from a high speed I "feel" like a slight "clunk" coming from what feels to be the rear end. Almost feels like there is a lil gap that the rear must adjust to when decreasing speed. It is not real bad and you cannot hear it, just kinda feel it. Does that mean the rear is going bad or maybe some u-joints?

Sorry for the long post but I also remember a thread about something being special about the 92-93 engines, green oil pans versus black pans or something. Anyone remember what that was about? I cannot believe the fantastic shape this car is in and I got it for 1800 bucks from an old dude. I just want to learn more about it.

• Sponsors (?)

Answers:

1) A whole heck of a lot of wind comes in from the rear 1/4 windows (It's normal at high speeds.) just put the top down and you won't notice.

2) Black was an interior option and is highly desireable. To verify that your car is infact original you can visit www.mustanggt.org and use the vin / door tag decoders to get some nice information about your newly aquired stang. (LX will be mechanically identical to GT models)

3) Could just be some slop (play) in the transmission. To be safe though you should look at your D/S to inspect your U-joints. I doubt there is anything wrong with your rear end.

1) I get a lot of wind noise from the rear quarters, but my weatherstripping has seen better days as well. This winter I am going to do a whole bunch of those little things, I'll let you know in the spring ;)

hhmm seems like the wind thing is fairly common. Is there any way to combat that? And does it leak water there as well? The wind does not bother me, I plan on having loud music and loud exhaust. I just want to make sure I dont get water damage. The leather on this car is damn near perfect.

I have some wind noise back there but its not TOO much. Never had a problem with leaking water though. I would check those U-joints to see if their getting sloppy. The noise could just be that simple. The oild pan color thing you heard has to do with weather or not the motor had forged pistons. In 92, Ford started using hyperutectic(sp?) pistons to make the motor run quieter when cold and save some cost. The earlier motors are more desireable for performance applications especialy if you plan to run nitrous or boost. I think that the later motors had black pans while the earlier ones were gray. Thats why they say you can tell if the motor has the forged pistons by the color of the oil pan.

...and how bout some pictures? Sounds like you got a hell of a deal. The black interiors are out there but fairly rare and quite desireable. Take good care of it.

Your 'vert has a lot of windnoise with the top up? Welcome to owning a convertible. They all have a lot of windnoise. Nature if the beast. What sounds like wind coming in is just wind turbulance outside the window/top in that spot due to the shape of the location and the fact that their is a large lip that the wind runs into. It's totally normal.

You will also experience an occasional water leak here or there. If it's persistent and in one area, have it checked out, otherwise don't worry about it. Convertibles all leak a little bit some place.

Yes that's the orginal interior color scheme. Mine is all black leather too. And with a black top.

As for having a loud stero to cover the noise....good luck with that. My friend tried that with his convertible. Between the wind noise and the MAC Flowpath exhaust he still couldn't hear the music very well at highway speeds. And he put a substantial stereo in his car. 99% of time I don't listen tot the radi oin my convertible. A. you can't hear it most of the time, B. it's the factory cassette player still. :rlaugh: If I can't hear it, why change it after it didn't help in my friends car.

Cool thanks guys, winter is coming just wanted to know what was what before I drive to work and look like I had a bucket of water poured on me...lol.

Also how to check u-joints? Just get under there and wiggle the D/S?

Man the car was such a steal I am like waiting for Candid Camera or AShton Kutcher to jump out and say I was Punk'd. I'll post some pics when I get home today. The car is real clean. (and everything works on the interior, not even droopy side pouches).

There are a couple of ways to check for 'slop' in the driveshaft u-joints but here is what I do.

You'll need
1) a set of wheel chocks (or 2x4's) for the front wheels
2) a jack and 2 stands

With the car still on the ground, set the e-brake and leave the car in Park postion (AOD) or 1st gear (manual). Chock the front wheels so the car doesn't roll away, and jack up the rear end. Place the jack stands under the axle so you are safe. Then crawl under the car and try to turn the driveshaft. It will rotate a little from play in the trans / rear end. If the movement is excessive then your U-joints are probably suspect.

If you driveshaft feels normal, keep looking while you are down there, most cars are not designed with 'klunks' in mind....

Also, while you are under there it would be a good time to look for rust, torn sheet metal or busted up torque boxes.

srothfuss.....thanks man, you also reminded me of another question. I just noticed that the fronts seats have a slight gangsta lean. But the lean in towards each other. Is this a sign of something bad? Or maybe some seats that seen some wide loads?

This is pretty funny but I just thought I would try it. I searched for gangsta lean and actually found some answers.... It is actually a common term....lol <---not sure why this is funny to me but it is.

webshot said:
srothfuss.....thanks man, you also reminded me of another question. I just noticed that the fronts seats have a slight gangsta lean. But the lean in towards each other. Is this a sign of something bad? Or maybe some seats that seen some wide loads?

This is pretty funny but I just thought I would try it. I searched for gangsta lean and actually found some answers.... It is actually a common term....lol <---not sure why this is funny to me but it is.

HEY!! MINE DOES THAT TOO!!! Is their a fix? I never looked into it. I thought it was some kind of optical illusion as the seats doen't otherwise seem out of whack.

I have a 93 convertible (that has a grey oil pan, btw) and I lived with that "klunk" in the rear end until last year when I had 3.73's installed and it miraculously disappeared. The shop that did the install said that it is not uncommon at all and is a result of sloppy workmanship at the factory setting the gear lash.

As promised here a few pics of my newly purchased drop. I am really in love with this car.......:flag:

dropstangside7pz.th.jpg

dropstangfrnt4rw.th.jpg

Attachments

• dropstangside7pz.th.jpg
    dropstangside7pz.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 63
  • dropstangfrnt4rw.th.jpg
    dropstangfrnt4rw.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 68