question for my fellow gearheads

blazinsteed

Dec 27, 2002
florida
I have an offroad exhaust with a massive leak. My car is running extremely rich and i have a check engine light reading left bank lean. Is it possible that too much air is getting in the mixture because of the leak and thats causing the car to overcompensate. That is my theory. I checked with a local speed shop and they concurred. What do you guys think?:confused:

• Sponsors (?)

I just installed an o/r Xpipe on my GT recently, and the gas smelled rich also. I took it to the dealer and they ran an air/fuel ratio diagnostics test. My car was okay, though. Did you get you some MIL Eliminators? If you don't have them, that's probably what triggered your check engine light. If your oxygen sensors don't detect an emmisions device, it will recurve your timing to best suit the engines capacity, which basically overfuels your engine. The smell of gas will be different however, simply because you don't have as much backpressure to contain the excess emmisions that are being put out. That is specifically what the dealership relayed to me.

blazinsteed said:
I have an offroad exhaust with a massive leak. My car is running extremely rich and i have a check engine light reading left bank lean. Is it possible that too much air is getting in the mixture because of the leak and thats causing the car to overcompensate. That is my theory. I checked with a local speed shop and they concurred. What do you guys think?:confused:

OK, you have an exhaust leak, code reads left bank lean. Let me guess, the leak is between the left header and the O/R pipe. Since a lot of the exhaust is leaking before it gets to the front O2 sensor, your car is fooled into thinking it is running lean, so it is compensating by running rich. Fix that dang leak, no mystery here.

Thats what I figured but I wanted to run it by you guys first. The mil's are functioning because its not throwing a bad cat code. I just figured it might be the 02 extenders. I am going to have the exhaust leak fixed this weekend.

Roger