Question for people with cam knowledge

Brian5934

Nov 15, 2011
Abilene TX
Had a set of cams measured the other week. Stock cam in my 04 GT is .484 on intake, and the new cam is .523 on intake. Talked to my buddy and he told me that the only way we will know if we have contact or not is to put them in and hand turn the motor. My question is, does anyone already have a cam this size or close to in a 2v GT?? I don't want to have to put the heads apart to find out if is too big.... Any advice is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I have Comp 262AHs and I believe they have 0.550" valve lift (at least on the intakes.) I'm fine with them installed per the card and on stock valvesprings.

The key is to degree them during the install to make sure they're in right. I wouldn't turn the engine, even by hand, if PTV is even remotely suspected as being possible because it wouldn't take much to bend a valve even a bit, ruining the seal in that cylinder.

Maximum valve lift will not tell you whether or not you'll have PTV issues. The intake centerline and duration have more to do with PTV than lift alone.

Regardless, anytime you install cams it is imperative they be properly degreed to ensure maximum performance and to ensure you aren't risking a PTV situation. Stock cam gears from Ford have very liberal tolerances and can be up to 5* off in either direction.

2012-04-12_13-25-01_618.jpg

Thank you for the input and i forgot to mention that the degree portion on install will be done prior to turning that motor. My buddy has do several sets of cams now, so I have a little faith in him haha... but any difficulty encountered in turning the engine by hand will be a quick identifier that something is not right.

if you do run into a problem bud you can visit Modular Mustang Racing website and they have rods and pistons that are able to hold over 600RWHP and they will notch them for you as well. you can also purchase some upgraded springs. Personally i would upgrade the springs anyway just to be sure and to relieve yourself some worry. It also helps to upgrade them so you dont have to worry as much about floating valves. but hey thats just me.