Question for the Wheel experts.

LAFF

Enough to make my old Nipples hard
Jul 2, 2019
Chillicothe, Missouri
While reading another thread I noticed some wheels that I really like.
They have a 15 off set front, and 20 rear. 5.09 back spacing.
17”
Would these work on a1983 without modifications?
I ‘m planning on going with the 245s front,
and 275s rear as has been suggested to me.
Don’t know if the rear back spacing is enough.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm not a wheel expert but I think O know the brand you're considering. Go to this link. It's their website. At the top of the page you can put in year, make, model.

They then show the wheel sets they offer for your input. You can always contact then directly for questions.

I'm not a wheel expert but I think O know the brand you're considering. Go to this link. It's their website. At the top of the page you can put in year, make, model.

They then show the wheel sets they offer for your input. You can always contact then directly for questions.

Thank you-
I should have posted that I found the answer.
The rear wheels have 5.8 back space so they will work.
Thanks for pointing me to those wheels.

You might need rolled fenders with that back spacing. While I got away without it for a long time, the 275s did tend to make contact, especially on the driver's side. 275/40/17s on a Cobra R58 wheel, which is a 17.9 with 5.95" back space rubbed on one side IIRC. I guess that would mean that my rear was slightly off center. I know .15" isn't much, but that would slightly make it worse.

The backspacing on the fox-body specific Cobra R179 is 6.42". So, if you find something between your 5.8 and 6.5 that would probably be better. Otherwise, I'm sure you can make it work.

Edit: meant to say 17x9"

Last edited:
You might need rolled fenders with that back spacing. While I got away without it for a long time, the 275s did tend to make contact, especially on the driver's side. 275/40/17s on a Cobra R58 wheel, which is a 17.9 with 5.95" back space rubbed on one side IIRC. I guess that would mean that my rear was slightly off center. I know .15" isn't much, but that would slightly make it worse.

The backspacing on the fox-body specific Cobra R179 is 6.42". So, if you find something between your 5.8 and 6.5 that would probably be better. Otherwise, I'm sure you can make it work.

Thank you very much.
I found the wheels I want, so I’ll make em work.
:)

Reactions: 1 user