Question from a Mustang Novice...

Nolezfan

May 8, 2006
What makes a Cobra a Cobra? A Saleen a Saleen? etc...

I've been reading threads and I see where people have "made" their cars into a Cobra, etc. I am just not understanding what makes a Cobra a Cobra. Is it horsepower? Body modifications?

Enlighten me, oh wise ones.

• Sponsors (?)

cobra has the different body kit.. uses 24# injectors, the X3Z computer, GT40 heads, Cobra intake and a bigger TB.. has the 5 lug and bigger brakes as well.. rated 235rwhp

saleen had tons of stuff.. its basically a LX with a body kit.. they could wax a cobra.. supposedly rated 300rwhp stock in the 92 form.. had 5 lug w/ big brakes, different interior etc.

A Cobra is Ford Special Vehicle Team's (SVT) version of the Mustang. From '93-95, the 5.0 engines were equipped with iron GT40 heads, a different cam, a GT40 based intake, 1.7 roller rockers, 24lb injectors, and a different computer as well. The standard Cobra T5 also came equipped with a steel bearing retainer from the factory, versus the aluminum on the standard 5.0 HO Mustangs. In '93, the Cobra had a different rear spoiler, taillights, rear bumper, side skirts, and the front bumper had an open grille, along with 17" wheels and 4 wheel disk brakes. In '95, Ford put a 351 and Tremec 3550 transmission in the Cobra R. From '96-'04, the Cobra was equipped with a DOHC 4.6L rated anywhere from 305-390HP depending on the year, with the '03-'04 being supercharged for the 390HP rating. In '99, the Cobra was first equipped with independent rear suspension, however it was ditched in '03 in favor of a solid rear axle to handle the higher horsepower and torque of the supercharged engine. The Cobra has also only been available with a manual transmission. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, so other than that, someone else will have to answer for ya. The Saleen question looks like it had been answered pretty well and without getting too much into detail, they had both cosmetic and performance mods performed by Saleen, and were available for sale at Ford dealers. Hope that helps!

StangGT1995 said:
A Cobra is Ford Special Vehicle Team's (SVT) version of the Mustang. From '93-95, the 5.0 engines were equipped with iron GT40 heads, a different cam, a GT40 based intake, 1.7 roller rockers, 24lb injectors, and a different computer as well. The standard Cobra T5 also came equipped with a steel bearing retainer from the factory, versus the aluminum on the standard 5.0 HO Mustangs. In '93, the Cobra had a different rear spoiler, taillights, rear bumper, side skirts, and the front bumper had an open grille, along with 17" wheels and 4 wheel disk brakes. In '95, Ford put a 351 and Tremec 3550 transmission in the Cobra R. From '96-'04, the Cobra was equipped with a DOHC 4.6L rated anywhere from 305-390HP depending on the year, with the '03-'04 being supercharged for the 390HP rating. In '99, the Cobra was first equipped with independent rear suspension, however it was ditched in '03 in favor of a solid rear axle to handle the higher horsepower and torque of the supercharged engine. The Cobra has also only been available with a manual transmission. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, so other than that, someone else will have to answer for ya. The Saleen question looks like it had been answered pretty well and without getting too much into detail, they had both cosmetic and performance mods performed by Saleen, and were available for sale at Ford dealers. Hope that helps!

they still had the IRS in the 03/04 cobras.. guys change em out in favor of solid rear axles

i believe the saleen had racecraft suspension.....they also had halo seats like the early 80's gt's. i know where one has been sitting near me that has 2 year old dead tags i have been trying to get. but no matter how much time and money you try to put into it to make a "Clone" the vin # tells everything.

Ironman92GT said:
cobra has the different body kit.. uses 24# injectors, the X3Z computer, GT40 heads, Cobra intake and a bigger TB.. has the 5 lug and bigger brakes as well.. rated 235rwhp

saleen had tons of stuff.. its basically a LX with a body kit.. they could wax a cobra.. supposedly rated 300rwhp stock in the 92 form.. had 5 lug w/ big brakes, different interior etc.
I thought cobras were still 4 lug?

Correct, the 93 cobra R came with 5-lug 4 wheel disk, with painted 94gt 17" rims, radio delete, antenna delete, no back seat, and was only available to those with a competition license. Only 107 where made.

The 93 cobra also had 4 wheel disk, but was only 4-lug.

I believe the same deletions hold true for the 95 cobra R.

Nolezfan said:
What makes a Cobra a Cobra? A Saleen a Saleen? etc...

I've been reading threads and I see where people have "made" their cars into a Cobra, etc. I am just not understanding what makes a Cobra a Cobra. Is it horsepower? Body modifications?

Enlighten me, oh wise ones.

It all depends on the year in question, as they all have varying degrees of performance and appearance modifications. If anyone says "oh yea I "made" a Cobra or Saleen, they full O' poop. :) A true Cobra or Saleen has to be authenticated by VIN # and Purchased from a dealership originally. One thing on a Saleen though, They have a firewall plate with the cars production # engraved on it. Drivers side on the firewall, if its not there it's a sure bet it's a clone.