Question If Engine Will Fit

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1996 Mustang GT with a bad motor, was looking at a 2004 Mercury Marauder engine cause of the DOHC. Will that motor fit correctly to my 1996 Mustang
Yes. It will fit (bolt up) just like the DOHC Cobra motor would also "fit".

without any issues?
That depends upon your definition of "issue". Did you have a plan to get the Cobra specific parts to make the swap work?

Have you looked up any threads on Mark 8 swaps as the concept is similar?

Have you priced any Marauder motors? I don't know for certain but I would think they are rare in the salvage yards.

One of the "keys" to make a project like this work is to make the new motor look "electrically" like the original. That means to re-use the original wiring harness and ignition. Some extending of the sensors will be necessary. The GT PCM will run a DHOC with a tune.

For an easier swap consider a Romeo PI from a 2002+ Town Car, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vic. Again it will be necessary to re-use the original wiring harness, fuel induction, and ignition but the parts that you already have will work as is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes. It will fit (bolt up) just like the DOHC Cobra motor would also "fit".

That depends upon your definition of "issue". Did you have a plan to get the Cobra specific parts to make the swap work?

Have you looked up any threads on Mark 8 swaps as the concept is similar?

Have you priced any Marauder motors? I don't know for certain but I would think they are rare in the salvage yards.

One of the "keys" to make a project like this work is to make the new motor look "electrically" like the original. That means to re-use the original wiring harness and ignition. Some extending of the sensors will be necessary. The GT PCM will run a DHOC with a tune.

For an easier swap consider a Romeo PI from a 2002+ Town Car, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vic. Again it will be necessary to re-use the original wiring harness, fuel induction, and ignition but the parts that you already have will work as is.

Thanks for the education.