Question on stock crank

02stangman

Sep 23, 2002
New Jersey
How much HP is my stock crank good for? I have an 86 5.0.

I want to bore it .030, add a mild cam and do bolt-ons on the top half. I'm trying to figure out if I should just get it bored and put in new pistons, or should I get a complete rotating assembly? For what I'm looking to do I'm looking at 300 to 350 HP. No NOS or Supercharger.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm killing myself over this, trying to figure out what to do with the motor.

• Sponsors (?)

all motor the motor can take pretty much anything you throw at it. But you start to run into problems with the block before anything else. The block will split before you need to worry about pistons crank or rods. around 500 hp and ur on borrowed time depending on how high ur revving it.

Thanks for the info guys. I've been trying to decide what to do for weeks. Is it worth getting an Upgrade kit like the Trick Flow kit that comes with the heads, intakes, cam, rockers, pushrods and timing chain? I believe the trick flow kit is about $2500.

Or would I be better off with something else?

I confuse myself when I do this kind of stuff..LOL I just want to get started on it so I have a car to drive this summer