Questionable Trade for 67- How crazy am I?

An article from 2010 about the then new 3.7L motor. Gives some interesting technical information on the motor.

Very cool. The reality is that there is nothing that sounds like a good ol' V-8 and nothing sounds so right as a V-8 in a Mustang.

I'm a real fan of the vintage aspect but do like to upgrade where it makes sense. One of my goals is to try to keep it as stock and period-like as possible. Period being the key word. If it was added or an option back then I'd consider it.

Once you start to go down of upgrading one thing it's a slippery slope with no end in sight. After you stick in a 300hp engine you then have to look at the brakes and suspension and exhaust and well, the list never stops.

The actuality is that if I need a dose of stupid horsepower in a modern car I'll just borrow the wife's 2019 GT...

2kRQNn4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I would do it. The Mustang will be worth more than the vette first. As for stock or not... Put it back together stock before you venture into a modified project. Sometimes, in the passage of TIME good deals present themselves. One to keep an eye out for would be a wrecked V-8 car of the same generation that runs but has all of the stuff you would want to change. That would make any swapping 10 times easier and leftover parts to sell to recover money spent acquiring the wrecked V-8 Mustang. And a second hand six cylinder is a whole lot easier to sell when the buyer is standing over it listening to it run.

• Agree
I would do it. The Mustang will be worth more than the vette first. As for stock or not... Put it back together stock before you venture into a modified project. Sometimes, in the passage of TIME good deals present themselves. One to keep an eye out for would be a wrecked V-8 car of the same generation that runs but has all of the stuff you would want to change. That would make any swapping 10 times easier and leftover parts to sell to recover money spent acquiring the wrecked V-8 Mustang. And a second hand six cylinder is a whole lot easier to sell when the buyer is standing over it listening to it run.

I’m more concerned that running or not the six will be hard to give away. Certainly the small rear end will probably get scrapped. You see them for free here on Craigslist and the such.

As for the V-8 stuff I’ve already found at least two complete 289 engines (motor mounts and up) that came out of purportedly running cars for almost nothing ($500 or less). At those prices it’s not even worth trying to get this six running. Although giving away a running engine will be easier.

I’ve also found a gentleman in Washington who builds Mustangs. From the looks of it a lot of modified ones. He says he has everything I need for the swap, brakes, engine, rear end. Because I’m staying period those parts aren’t in huge demand as many people toss them aside for newer, fancier parts.

And this is all the stuff I’ve found so far with minimal effort.

Like I’d said, build it how you would like. I don’t think there is anything wrong with a period correct car. I just thought the idea of a strong light six cylinder with good gas mileage would be appealing.

However you do it, you should start a build thread and keep us posted

The only "out of region" show that Brother goes to is Carlisle PA in the spring. I myself can't go because of an extremely fallen left arch and then early Memorial Day morning I suffered a mild stroke and that has slowed me down yet some more. There are occasional 6 cyls that pop up near here from time to time. 450,000 people in the metro area and several are converting to V-8. Thanks though...

Going to pick up the car today. Here's some more teaser pictures.

FxOgwww.jpg

CtcZuJc.jpg

aaHRDzT.jpg

Owner put better tires on it so it will at least roll. The biggest effort will be to inventory the parts and start ordering stuff. Priority one will be the interior. Once I get that done I'll feel much better. This would include the door handles. Then go to the mechanicals, like going to 5 lugs.

op, before you decide to just dump the inline six, think about building it instead. its lighter than the V8, can make decent power, and turn in decent fuel economy as well. what do you want the car for? daily driver? a mildly modified six will do the job quite nicely thank you.

op, before you decide to just dump the inline six, think about building it instead. its lighter than the V8, can make decent power, and turn in decent fuel economy as well. what do you want the car for? daily driver? a mildly modified six will do the job quite nicely thank you.

Let’s be clear. Six is being dumped. If someone wants to trade me for a V-8 convertible in equal condition, I’ll listen. Otherwise...

Two things, it’s not a survivor six, of it was I’d be way more hesitant. But it’s not original and it’s not perfect. I do appreciate retaining history but this isn’t the car to do it with.

Secondly, I want a V-8 and this deal allowed me to get darn close and since period 289s are apparently readily available and cheap I can’t not do it.

That being said I will get the six running and see what it’s like but to be honest the sound of a V-8 is mighty alluring. Mighty.

Now that we have that out of the way I got the car in my possession today. Pictures soon.

Can’t say I ever have. I go to red door meet in downtown Portland occasionally. But that’s more of a younger crowd. Lots of tuners and drift cars. Occasional exotics, lifted trucks and restored classics round out the show. But again younger crowd. Might need to check out cars and coffee though.

Can’t say I ever have. I go to red door meet in downtown Portland occasionally. But that’s more of a younger crowd. Lots of tuners and drift cars. Occasional exotics, lifted trucks and restored classics round out the show. But again younger crowd. Might need to check out cars and coffee though.

Muscle car theme this Saturday. So this would be the one to get to. They already had the mustang day.

NGpQ3fh.jpg

sRjlbJI.jpg

EF80O8N.jpg

Car was painted but never cut and buffed. Looks a bit better with a bath. I still haven't inventoried the parts. The underside is still ugly. Floorboards were replaced. I assume when they were down there they addressed any other issues. Aside from cleaning out my garage (the car is currently at my cousin's) so I can move the car to my place, I want to get it running. It's suppose to have a new gas tank but the fuel line needs to be replaced. It should then run with a new battery. We'll see.