Questions about a build up I'm planing

neoxaero

Oct 3, 2008
I'm new to working with 5.0's .. So i'm learning as I go.. I made a post a couple weeks ago but am thinking of going a slightly different way with the build... so a few more questions...

The project car I bought has some issues that I'm trying to remedy

So heres what the car has done to it currently

19# injectors
Stock fuel pump
Forged bottom end
GT40 heads
Edelbrock performer intake
Edelbrock throttle body elbow
65mm throttle body (Not sure on the brand.. but its screwed up..)
Paxton Novi 2000 S/C
Paxton FMU with a 10:1 disk in it
BBK Shortys
Off-road X-pipe
Side dumped exhaust

When I bought the car, it wouldn't run worth a crap above 3500RPM.. In the process of fixing that issue, I've found some other issues with the car.

In order to have a good running car I'm thinkin about upgrading some parts

42# injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
BBK 65mm Throttlebody
Abaco MAF (spending a little extra money here so I can reprogram it as if I change injectors at some point)

Out side of these parts I'm not sure which way to go..

Now for some questions..
#1 Should I replace the stock fuel rail? I've been told it'll support up to 500hp or so.. but I'm not sure exactly how much HP to expect from this setup.

#2 Should I ditch the Paxton FMU all together? Should I go with a boost referencing fuel pressure regulator? Paxton says to go with a 4:1 disc with 42# injectors .. Should I find a FPR that has the same rising rate? If I go with the FPR, do I ditch the stock FPR? .. Which leads back to the first question.. Will I need an aftermarket rail to use an after market FPR?

#3 Would it be benifical for me to goto some sort of a stand-alone system? Or should I do a piggy back system? What ever I decide to go with I want to keep the cost as low as possible of course... but would also like to for it to be as plug-n-play as possible and real-time programming is a must... (I dont wanna mess with pulling a chip to make any changes.)

the PMS system from Anderson Ford is supposed to be pretty good from what I've seen. I was also reccomended a system from AEM (though its like 2x as expensive as the PMS system..)

What ever I decide to go with for engine management, I'd like for it to be upgradeable to what ever i decide to throw in the car later on.. Possibly an LSx motor.. maybe a turbo charged SBF..

Should I use a system that uses a MAP sensor instead of a MAF? Which one would provide the best streetability..

Thanks for reading my long post
Frank

• Sponsors (?)

Stock fuel rail is fine. I would ditch the FMU and have a custom chip burned. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator that fits the stock fuel rail will work. If you want to go to plug and play I would get a tweecer that works with the stock computer. You will need to go to a 255lph in tank pump, and possibly a secondary in line pump like a Vortech T-Rex. Honestly the 255lph in tank will probably do the job.

Running the Ford Engine Management Computer on an LSx motor is absolutely impossible. If you swap to a Chevy LSx engine you are going to have to swap out the whole wiring harness and computer or put a carbuerator on it.

Kurt

the only reason i mentioned using the comp with the LSx motor is, I was talking to a FAST dealer.. and was basicly told that if I went to the LSx motor, all I would need to do is buy the correct wiring harness and do a re-tune..

As far as the tweecer goes... would I need to run a MAF? or can you tune with a MAP sensor?

Same question for the PMS.. MAF or MAP... :shrug:

I've got a full LS1 with everything I would need to make it work in the car (I totaled my corvette and bought it back from the insurance company).. So i've thought about saying screw it learning all this ford crap and move right up to some new school technology :-D

Well I would go with one or the other. I think the wiring harness is the hardest part, and the most expensive part of the engine management system. At least it is when you include the distributer and all. The FAST system uses it's own distributer on the Ford setup. The tweecer setup is a whole lot cheaper than the FAST setup. What year was your Corvette? Is it an LS1 or an LS2? I know that it isn't that hard to swap that engine into a Mustang. Most of the people who do it usually use a carbuerator though. In the end, building a Ford engine is going to be cheaper. You can get decent money for that Corvette engine.

Kurt