Fox Questions about Fan Clutch.

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Hi, working on my 93 5.0. I recently installed a new radiator, electric fans, and adjustable fan controller. I still can't get the fans to come on and I dont know exactly why. I have 130 amp alternator also, so I know that's not the issue.

I was thinking of just ditching the efans and buying the belt driven fans. Do you guys recommend them and how does the clutch know the temp of the coolant? Since I'm assuming the temp probe has no use with a that setup?

• Sponsors (?)

If you put a factory clutch fan back on the car you will also need a factory shroud. The fan clutch has a thermostatic coupler built into it. When it senses heat it tightens up.

Reactions: 1 user
If you put a factory clutch fan back on the car you will also need a factory shroud. The fan clutch has a thermostatic coupler built into it. When it senses heat it tightens up.

So if I switch back to the stock fan it senses heat automatically? No electrical connection? How does it sense heat?

Edit: just looked up how it works on YouTube. That's pretty neat. I think I'm definitely switching back, it's more reliable.

Reactions: 1 user