Questions about heads I just bought

DmnStr8

Apr 16, 2005
NH
Just bought a set of GT40 Iron heads off ebay. Owner said that the heads were ported and that he had just put new valve springs on them. The look nice. Only problem is UPS left the box in the rain without any cover so some flash rust formed on the bottom (I'm not sure what to call it, its the gasket surface where the deck meats the block). Whats the best way to clean this back up? Most of the rust just wiped off (it wasn't much) but the surface is stained now. Also, I bought these heads cause the money sort of fell in my lap (like 30 hours OT) but they will probably be in storage for the winter till I can find someone to help me install them (I'm a noob) is there anything I can do to stop more rust from forming. I have some good oils meant for firearms. Would these be ok?

I'm not really sure how to evaluate the port job (or tell if there is one at all, honestly). Here are some pics. What do you guys think?

4892chamber.jpg

4892intake.jpg

4892exhaust.jpg

4892intakeside-med.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Storing any iron or steel in plastic is only a good idea if it's gonna be stored in a temperature controlled (heat/a-c) environment. You put cast iron heads in a sealed plastic bag in an unheated garage - and by the time spring rolls around you'll have more rust than you can shake a stick at. The plastic traps the moisture and condensation takes a BIG rust toll on things. If it can't be in a heated space, cover them with something that will breathe to keep dust off -- but not plastic. Condensation will eat 'em up.

I think I'm going to just wipe some light oil on them and store them in my spare closet till spring.

Hey can anyone tell me if they look like they have a port job on them?

the ports don't look like they are hogged out or anything, they look pretty good from what I can see. Dont worry about the rust, just spray em down with 3-1 brand oil, or WD-40......they will be fine. BUt like someelse suggested keep em dry and somewhere like a closet or under your bed or something.

you'll have more rust than you can shake a stick at

that is the first time I've heard that in a long while! :nice:

They DO look like the intake has been opened up some, but I can't tell about porting from those pictures.. How much did you give? If they have the stock springs, you will definately want to upgrade those. You MIGHT be safe with them and the stock cam. Get some takeoff AFR or TFS springs.. Good to about .550...

Last owner said the springs had 0 miles on them and were heavy duty ones installed by his machine shop. Didn't think to find out the type. Oops another rookie mistake. I won't go into price but I'll say that it was about what I had seen clean gt40's with mild port work go for on corral and 50tech. Shipping was painful though. Lol

Yeah I know its hard to tell from the pics. I don't know how to take the valves out to get a look at the bowls though.

Anyway I'm still happy with them and I am in the process of fleshing out what mods I want to go with them. Was thinking of going with a cobra or ported stock intake (depends on finacial situation) next. Then putting it all on sometime in the spring.