Questions about swapping a 2.3 Turbo motor out of a 88 Super Coupe into my 93 2.3NA Vert

Hello everyone! So I have been hunting for a turbo 2.3 motor for some time. I finally have a lead on one for a decent price. I have a T5 trany that needs to be rebuilt, but I don't really want to go through a manual swap for my daily. I'm not to familiar with these drivetrains... Would it be possible (realistically) to get that motor to work with my A4LD trany? I just had it rebuilt about 2 weeks ago and it cost a pretty penny. So I'm not eager to ditch it just yet. I'm not trying to do anything crazy with the new motor, I just want some more power than what I currently have. I'm doing research online about this, but I'd truly appreciate any additional info, tips, things to avoid, DOs & DON'Ts.

Thanks Guys! Allot of you have helped me through your comments in the past. I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The A4LD was the optional automatic transmission behind the N/A 2.3's that came in '87-'93 Mustangs. So yeah, it should bolt right up. Word of caution though.....they're not known for their reliability. N/A 2.3's of that era produced all of 88 hp whereas the 2.3 Turbos made 200 hp. It'll be interesting to see how long the tranny lasts!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat as you except I'm coming from an 87' 5-speed car, I'm currently in mid-rebuild of the engine, and I'm just doing some minor tweaks to an 88 TC motor to I guess give it a little more Kick.

hope to here some updates about the engine swap!

Just some history on the Thunderbirds, the 87-88 4 cylinder turbo cars are referred to as Turbo Coupes and the 89-95 Birds with supercharged V6's are referred to as Super Coupes.

Try this thread:

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! So I have been hunting for a turbo 2.3 motor for some time. I finally have a lead on one for a decent price. I have a T5 trany that needs to be rebuilt, but I don't really want to go through a manual swap for my daily. I'm not to familiar with these drivetrains... Would it be possible (realistically) to get that motor to work with my A4LD trany? I just had it rebuilt about 2 weeks ago and it cost a pretty penny. So I'm not eager to ditch it just yet. I'm not trying to do anything crazy with the new motor, I just want some more power than what I currently have. I'm doing research online about this, but I'd truly appreciate any additional info, tips, things to avoid, DOs & DON'Ts.

Thanks Guys! Allot of you have helped me through your comments in the past. I appreciate it.
if you want some more power but not a ton, why not swap from a slider cam to a roller cam, annd add in an upgraded cam, its what im doing, i got the ranger X cam from big R and its afordable, and an easy swap since the slider cam thats already in there may wear out soon ( my luck has been horrible with em)

Reactions: 1 user