questions on 93 interior in 87

im diving into my fox after a 10 year hiatus. it never came out how I wanted and now I want to get the car back to the way I want it. when I bought the car I got a almost complete 93 interior with it. im now realizing the differences in 93 to 87 hatch plastics, 93 headliner is different. i have a few questions

1.) I acquired seatbelts from a 91 hatch. I believe there is some sort of different mount to mount them for shoulder harnesses on the rear seat?
2.) i have my oem rear seat from 87 i also have a black lower from a 93 i realize these two seats mount differently. can i just swap the seat cover or do i neeed to change the mounting brackets on the floor?
3.) the headliner is different and the 93 dome light doesnt match up mounting wise so im just thinking of selling it and buying an 87 headliner and recovering it in black
4. can I make the 93 hatch quarter trim plastics work? I realize the seatbelt holes r different currently have 3 point harness mounted but am going back to stock belts from a 91 can I make them work with these plastics?
5.) should I just try and trade everything for black pieces from an 87 to 89?(seems impossible to find) or just make what I got work

my car isn't concourse just trying to make the interior look good any input is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Black interior was only 90-93, so you won’t find 87/89 black parts. It can be installed and can be made to look factory.

I have a factory 90 black interior in my ‘88. You’d never know it was a swap.

I’ll detail out steps when I am backon a PC

E290793D-CB8E-4C80-AD38-BC761BB9B902.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
1.) I acquired seatbelts from a 91 hatch. I believe there is some sort of different mount to mount them for shoulder harnesses on the rear seat?

Unfortunately the only black front belts that will fit properly are from a 1990 in front. Ford changed the way the seat belts attach in the front in 1991. For a direct bolt on, you need to track down a set of 1990 front seat belts. I would not recommend trying to modify the 91-93 seat belts because if you don't get the angle right, they won't work.,

In the rear, you would need to cut the upper mount out of a doner car and weld it into your car. Or you can buy these

Easiest way is to buy a set of 79-84 rear lap belts in black or dark gray and swap them for yours.

2.) i have my oem rear seat from 87 i also have a black lower from a 93 i realize these two seats mount differently. can i just swap the seat cover or do i neeed to change the mounting brackets on the floor?

Swap the seatcover to the older foam will be the easiest way. The 90-93 mounts bolt to points that don't exist on the pre-90 cars.

3.) the headliner is different and the 93 dome light doesnt match up mounting wise so im just thinking of selling it and buying an 87 headliner and recovering it in black

That's what I did. Some new material and spray adhesive makes recovering the headline pretty easy and cheap.

4. can I make the 93 hatch quarter trim plastics work? I realize the seatbelt holes r different currently have 3 point harness mounted but am going back to stock belts from a 91 can I make them work with these plastics?

Yes. You can drill out new 1" OD holes to mount the front seatbelts, and then use a rubber plug to block the existing hole. Will never notice.

Additional notes. You need to run the 90-93 HVAC controls. The older controls don't bolt to the dash. The wiring and vac hookup is the same.

Dash swap is pretty straightforward but the fuse box will be an issue. In the 87-89 cars, it mounts in the dash. In the 90-93 cars, it mounts under the dash. The underdash area in the 90-93 cars has an additional bracket in the knee area that interferes with the fuse box. You can leave this out, cut a square into the dash area, and then the lower knee trim will cover this all up. This will be the "messiest" part of the job since the box doesn't have much wire slack to allow you to move it far.

All the other trim is pretty much an even swap. If your car has the remote gas tank popper, you'll need to drill a hole in the console to add it.

Youre existing gauge cluster, and guage pod will work if your car is a GT and you want to keep the 87-89 warning light pod. You can use the 87-89 column trim and keep your tilt column as I did above. It still fits up cleanly

Well, 79-84 also had black interior, but it's the older gen interior with many incompatible parts.

But for the 87-93 aero years, only 90-93 had black. It replaced 87-89 Sand Beige interior

iccccc. well my dash was painted so im gonna leave as is im gonna respray my console and other trim with an adhesion promoter. im a bit smarter now this is my 2nd resto. gonna buy new kick panels and sill plates I guess ill have to track down a headliner and sell the 93 also some 90 front belts. there is no way of making 91s work? also gonna do the seat cover switch. the rear plastics ill keep and probably weld in those brackets I have kids and by the time they get older id rather have the shoulder belts in the back

Hey guys, I wanted to thank you for confirming a suspicion of mine regarding the front upper seat belt boss location differences. I recently realized this issue when I tried to install a Corbeau harness bar in my 88 but it came up about 2.5" too short. I've always suspected that the bosses were moved slightly upward on the airbag cars, but Corbeau insists their bar fits all 79-93 cars.

Mustang5L5, is there any chance you can post a pic of your upper seat belt mount that shows how far it is away from the old hole that you plugged? I'm trying to get Corbeau to realize they have an issue that needs to be addressed. I really wanted this bar to work in my car but I just can't come up with a way to safely adapt it to my 88.

Mustang5L5, is there any chance you can post a pic of your upper seat belt mount that shows how far it is away from the old hole that you plugged?

Looks like I misread what you said. You didn't have to plug the hole in your quarter plastics because they came from a 90, and the location didn't change until 91. You were just saying it could be done.

Looks like I misread what you said. You didn't have to plug the hole in your quarter plastics because they came from a 90, and the location didn't change until 91. You were just saying it could be done.

location changed in 1990.

I drilled a 1” hole in the ‘90 plastics to mount the belts in the originsl ‘88 locstion. There is a difference in belt height of the 87-89 and 90-93 cars