Questions to PI Engine swap

tomdom

Sep 12, 2019
Germany
Hello everyone,

my engine on my 1996 GT has blown, and I´ve got a donor engine out of a 2004 GT, which I want to swap soon.
I´ve some questions about this:

1.) The coolant in the 1996 is the specification ESE M97 B44 A (Ford Premium engine coolant, green), the coolant specification for the 2004 ist the Ford Premium Gold Engine Coolant (WSS M97B51-A1). I´ve seen, that the 2004 had also a green coolant filled at the moment.
Which one should I use now after the swap ?

2.) The water pump in the 2004 is the short variant, in the 1996 it is the long variant. They have also different pulleys.
Can I stay with the 2004 water pump if I use also the 2004 pulley after I´ve changed the timing cover from the 1996 to the 2004 engine ?

3.) Does it matter, that the 2004 donor engine is out of a manual transmission vehicle, but my 1996 is an automatic ? I want to stay with automatic transmission.
The donor engine has no flywheel mounted. I would mount the flex plate from my 1996 to the 2004 engine. Will this work ?

Would be great, if anyone has an answer.

Tom

• Sponsors(?)

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
1.) The coolant in the 1996 is the specification ESE M97 B44 A (Ford Premium engine coolant, green), the coolant specification for the 2004 ist the Ford Premium Gold Engine Coolant (WSS M97B51-A1). I´ve seen, that the 2004 had also a green coolant filled at the moment.
Which one should I use now after the swap ?
Let me ask you. Are you going to keep the original radiator? IMO it seems obvious to me that you should continue to use standard green coolant. This goes double has the donor motor already has green coolant as well. Don't over think this.
2.) The water pump in the 2004 is the short variant, in the 1996 it is the long variant. They have also different pulleys.

Can I stay with the 2004 water pump if I use also the 2004 pulley after I´ve changed the timing cover from the 1996 to the 2004 engine ?
The water pump used is going to need to match the timing cover. I suspect it will be obvious WHY it matters as the water pump pulley won't line up with the crank and other pulleys.
3.) Does it matter, that the 2004 donor engine is out of a manual transmission vehicle, but my 1996 is an automatic ? I want to stay with automatic transmission.
The donor engine has no flywheel mounted. I would mount the flex plate from my 1996 to the 2004 engine. Will this work ?
Yes. Both Romeo motor have 6 bolt cranks. Simply swap the flywheel with a flex plate. It will be necessary to remove the pilot bearing from the donor manual motor.

tomdom

Sep 12, 2019
Germany
Thank you for answering so fastly.

Yes, I want to keep the original 1996 radiator and hoses. So I think I will fill in the green coolant.
I hope that the gaskets in the 2004 block will work also with the green one.

For the water pump I will bolt the old one in the new block, and take also the old pulley.
Is it also necessary then to take the old harmonic balancer over to the 2004 block ?

I´ve taken a look to my donor engine after reading your response and saw the pilot bearing of the manual tranny ist still inside.
Is all I have to do removing the bearing ? Do I need another bearing instead of the pilot bearing or just remove it ?
Do I need a special puller for removing it ?

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
An automatic transmission does NOT use a pilot bearing. Why? Because the flex plate always turns at the same speed as the crank. IF you were to leave a pilot bearing in place this would prevent the flex plate from mating to the crank. Look at the center part of the flex plate and you will see how it's supposed to mate to the crank.

Many auto parts stores will rent a pilot bearing puller and slide hammer. Or use the "old school" grease, paper towel, and bolt trick.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28bSl4r1kwQ

If you mix and match different size pulleys it seems possible that any standard length belt may not work. It seems to me that the smart play is to use one or the other set up.

Last edited: