Questions?

admaster99

Founding Member
Jul 5, 2002
Iowa
I was wondering at about what rpm range does your car run when driving around 55 to 65 mph mine runs around 2800 to 3200 on a 4 speed is that normal I had somebody tell me that its high but I just figured it was normal for a 4 speed. I was wondering if theres any difference in a 4 speed for a V8 or a 4 cylinder and if they could be converted because that could be a possibility. Also the guy said it might have a converter in it which i dont really know what that is. Also what size of gas tanks do these cars have about a 13 gallon I figure my car is getting around 9 to 10 miles per gallon on a stock 302 with a 4 barrel 600 cfm edelbrock. And a guy I know has the same carbureutor on a chevy 350 and hes getting around 17 to 18 with the help of his tranny what the hell gives. Oh yeah and his is pumping out around 300 hp compared to my maybe 150-160. Is it the tranny maybe timing, dirty carb, what any ideas would greatly help thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Your rpms sound about right for a 4 speed. Remember, there is no overdrive on a 4 speed, 4th gear is 1:1. The 4 cyl trans may have a different gear set, but it would only be a different 1st or 2nd gear, 4th would still be 1:1 so that wouldn't matter. A torque converter is for an automatic trans. The guy with the 350 might have a 5 speed, or an overdrive automatic, so I wouldn't bother using that as a comparison. Your mpg does sound a bit low, but there's lots of things that can affect it. Make sure your timing is set right, and that your vacuum advance is working.