Quick 5 lug conversion question

I'm going to be converting to 5 lug in a couple months and was looking for some recommendations for a complete front and rear kit that would work with the wheels I'm getting (17x9 and 17x10.5 deep dish 03 Cobra.) I'm going with 31 spline axles and still trying to decide on whether or not I'm going with disc or drum.

Here are some kits I've come across so far:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...Kit-With-31-Spline-Axles#picture-upload-modal

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...-50L-Front-And-Rear-5-Lug-Disk-Brake-Conversi

and here's the rims
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...tang-Machined-Deep-Dish-03-Cobra-Wheel-17X105

Also, would I have to massage the lip on the fender?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

Out back, you'll need to retain fox length axles. So you either need to run drum brakes, or modify a rear disk conversion to run fox length axles. There are conversion brackets out there to do just that.

Up front, you really need to run SN95 brakes to utilize the hub setup to properly fit the rim you want. It's hit or miss if the conversion rotors fit.

If you have the rims already, run to the store and buy a Lincoln mark 7 84-90 front rotor and test fit it on a rim.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

There aren't many kit's that i'm a fan of these days for a fox.
You can put together your own cheaper with better parts.
Absolutely do rear discs while it's apart, if not for more reliable rear brakes, do it because working on drums suck.

Massage the fender with that size wheel? More than likely.
I've never understood using a 10.5 wide wheel on a fox because your car is still only going to accept a tire that fits on a 9.

There aren't many kit's that i'm a fan of these days for a fox.
You can put together your own cheaper with better parts.
Absolutely do rear discs while it's apart, if not for more reliable rear brakes, do it because working on drums suck.

I've never understood using a 10.5 wide wheel on a fox because your car is still only going to accept a tire that fits on a 9.
You don't like the wilwood setup with 4-piston calipers and internal drum parking brake? It's under $700, altho not sure about the axle requirements

You don't like the wilwood setup with 4-piston calipers and internal drum parking brake? It's under $700, altho not sure about the axle requirements

I'm sure it's a good kit, but here are my reasons against it.

You don't need 4-piston rear brakes on a car with such a light rear end as a Fox. They look pretty and the idea sounds great, but Cobra brakes with single piston calipers out back are more than enough to lock up the rear brakes in hard braking requiring an adjustable PV to reduce pressure to the rear

#2..parts replacement. When you need new rotors/pads...only one source.

Don't get me wrong, Wilwood makes some nice stuff, but I'd prefer to spend the $$ on good front brakes, and a cheap SN95 rear setup is more than adequate for most braking needs.

Reactions: 1 user

Because when you do get them to work, they look ohhhh soooo sweet!!!

4745876976_4460023d4b.jpg

315016.jpg

coupe086.jpg

I've got 275's on my 10" rear wheels right now and you can bet when they're gone, 315's will be taking their place. 275's on a 9" wheel....yes. 275's on a 10-10.5" wheel...not a great fit.

Attachments

• 4745876976_4460023d4b.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 4745876976_4460023d4b.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 315016.jpg
    315016.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 315016.jpg
    315016.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 125
  • coupe086.jpg
    coupe086.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 117
  • coupe086.jpg
    coupe086.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 114
I'm sure it's a good kit, but here are my reasons against it.

You don't need 4-piston rear brakes on a car with such a light rear end as a Fox. They look pretty and the idea sounds great, but Cobra brakes with single piston calipers out back are more than enough to lock up the rear brakes in hard braking requiring an adjustable PV to reduce pressure to the rear

#2..parts replacement. When you need new rotors/pads...only one source.

Don't get me wrong, Wilwood makes some nice stuff, but I'd prefer to spend the $$ on good front brakes, and a cheap SN95 rear setup is more than adequate for most braking needs.

OK so maybe you could help me out identifying what I got. The calipers have Varga on them....does that identify them? I can't recall as I replaced pads once when I got the car but that's been years ago.
Thanks

There are numbers on the caliper. You can read them with the wheel off. No need to remov caliper. Just look on the top surface. It should say Varga and some numbers.

You can prob just google the numbers and find out.