Quick A/c Question

mysd455

Dec 1, 2014
I added one can of real R12 to the compressor (and oil) so the compressor kick on now for about 7 seconds, then shuts off and again kicks back on. Back and forth. I see one the the past owners "improvements is an old school flex fan, Does the compressor need feedback like a completed circuit that the electric fan is running to say activated ? If so then I got to figure out were the two wires are (or was) that connect to the electric fan....Its never easy when you restore an old car. Thanks in advance for any ideas

• Sponsors (?)

Most likely he has the flex fan wired incorrectly. It is supposed to be wired to the A/C on switch, and the previous owner wired it to the A/C clutch. Seven seconds sounds about right at idle, maybe even a little short. Is it cooling ok? The computer doesn't monitor the fan. However, it should be running all the time with the A/C on.

The clutch is controlled by a cycle switch that is screwed into the drier can. It has both a low and a high pressure trigger. There is also a high pressure safety switch on the high side, but it has to spike pretty high for it to kick off. Not sure what the pressure is though.

Kurt

Without knowing the pressures, you don't know if the system is fully charged.

If you have to ad two cans, i'm going to assume you have a leak. In which case i'd recommend fixing the leak unless you have a pretty good supply of R12 and can afford to just top it off every summer.