quick intake question

glitch1985

May 15, 2005
Northern VA
Well I'm new to the whole forum thing and hoping somebody can help me with a quick question. I am planning on buying a intake for my 02 v6 and was wondering what the performance difference is if I spend ~$150 on a mac or bbk intake or fork over ~$40 for a cheap one off ebay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I could tell you to use the search button like most people will tell you, BUT i'll save you the time. Supposedly there is no difference in the e-bay intakes and the ones from MAC or BBk. If I were you I would go with the K&N FIPK, 'cause it's plastic and it wount conduct heat like those metal ones.

Just about everyone will tell you that there is little or no difference between high and low priced intakes. Personally, I'm going to get a demolet intake. You'll(and me too) probably regret blowing 150+ on just an intake when they don't even do that much, but I think I'll feel better about myself if I get an intake that has a good reputation.

mooses said:
You'll(and me too) probably regret blowing 150+ on just an intake when they don't even do that much, but I think I'll feel better about myself if I get an intake that has a good reputation.

Agreed. I had that intake. It's the densecharger... right? It works good, but it looks like ass ran-over twice. I switched to a moto-blue straight shot with a different MAF, that one worked good too, then after that I just recently switched to the K&N FIPK with the MAF from the moto-blue and I love it, plastic intake (which looks good by the way) with a different MAF. I gonna be going to a Procharger soon, so I basically wasted money with those intakes, but I still sold them and got some money back.

^ all that for 6 bills? Thats pretty good. I'd say do it, unless you plan on getting a lot of power out of your 6, 'cause if you plan on getting a power adder anytime soon i'd just save my money on the intake and just go with exhaust, t-body, ported intakes, pretty much just getting your car all ready for the power adder. Other wise go for it.

No, I dont have gears/t-lok YET. I already have a K&N drop-in. I want to get rid of my airbox anyway now. I'll look into those speakers too. As for cats, I'm experimenting with this MAC catback, I'm hoping for the best but if I dont like it I'm gonna throw in some flow super 40's and then the cats. All the labor at once. I'd been eyeing them for awhile, but I thought I was doing an H-pipe but i decided against it.

The K&N FIPK adds 7RWHP on 99+ V6. The ones from MAC and Moto-Blue, i've seen them dynoed alittle bit higher in the first and second runs, but after the car warms up and they do the third and fourth runs they come out to be about 5RWHP. The K&N was consistent. What about pulleys, if not a CAI.

I'll pop in a 180degree tstat when i swap my antifreeze out(8 bucks), so that should help a little too since we have electric fans. I think I'm getting all new pulleys other than my alternator, because I'm getting a high-draw headunit and I dont want to eat my alternator up.

I think the thermostat measures what temp. the coolant gets sent into your engine, so I would go with a 160* rather than 180*... 20* is 20*. Atleast thats what I think, you may also have to redo the computer (with a tuner or something similar) to turn the fans on sooner... i'm not sure on that either, but still check on it.