quick question, loctite on spark plugs

• Sponsors (?)

HMSPORT said:
I worked at Ford dealers for over 13 years. I have never seen a TSB for using lock-tite on spark plugs. Do Not Use It!
The problem on the earlier years 5.4's was a machining problem with the plug threads. Basically, there wasn't enough threads for the plug...hence blowing out the plugs and pulling the threads with it. Under warranteee, we would replace the head. If it was a cp job, the cutomer had the choice of purchasing a new head or we would send the org. out and have it heli-coiled.
MikeZ28 can you give me the SSM #, I can look it up at the dealership.
As for the anti-seize, if you use it make sure that you do not put to much on. If any gets into the combustion chamber or on the eletrode, it will cause detonation. Just my .02 to tell help everyone.

I talked too the foreman at my work yesterday and he remeers it too. it was issued too svt dealers and was part of the PDI on new lightings in the 02 model year.

I am still tring too find info on this now. he thinks i will not be able too.

heli coiling a blown out plug is a very bad idea. pre ignition is common on the helicoiled cylinder. read the SSM ( put any 5.4 or 4.6 in oasis and it will come up) thats why they don't recomend the helicoil for a repair.

i still don't get why you would use anti-seize on a mod motor plug. i have never seen one of thewse plugs break in the head. or even come out hard.

and the locktite has NEVER cause a problem for me on any lighting or other mod motor i have serviced. a few of them i have hed the plugs out multiple times.

i have seen locktite come apart on aluminum threads without a problem many times.

if you guys don't want too do it to your car thats fine. use anti seize on a motor that has a problem with plugs rattling loose and does not have problems with plugs seizing in the head. :nice:

personal insults in this thread is uncalled for. if you don't like the idea don't use it. i do it on mine. i do it on cobras and lightings. and none of them have blown out plugs.

one lighting customer from my old work who was not running stock boost blew out plugs twice. been a few years now and many passes with my locktite plugs without blowing one out. and he has increased the boost on it.

i guess there is a possibiliy of the locktite causing thread damage ( i hae never seen anything like that) all thread damage i have seen is from cross threading or metal deterioration.

well anyways to those that never blew one out ( rare to happen on a mustang anyways) i hope it never happens too you. it is very expensive.

RavenGT said:
No, it was because the pre 03 2V heads were a crappy design, when it came to the plug threads. They were designed with only 4 threads around the plug, and in the case of the Lightnings, the increased cylinder pressure from the positive displacement blowers, were forcing the plugs to blow out, and take the threads with them.

The Loctite idea is not only assinine, but not true. The official fix from Ford was to helicoil the head and send the customer on their way. You add hightemp Loctite to a soft metal like aluminum and you are not a question of will it happen again, its a matter of when it will happen again.

Loctite cures the steel plug to the soft aluminum head, and the head will be the first metal to give in the case of failure.

I don't know Mr.Z28, but I know that he will NEVER put a wrench, or tube of loctite to my Lightning.

Joe

your 100 percent wrong.. ford does not want a helicoil repair done for this problem. they said it causes detonation problems. they want the head repalced.

i will be back latterr tonight and post the SSM number and article showing you are wrong on the helicoil repair.

MikeZ28 said:
personal insults in this thread is uncalled for. if you don't like the idea don't use it. i do it on mine. i do it on cobras and lightings. and none of them have blown out plugs.

Hmmm what comes around goes around huh. Seems you like to dish it out but, can't take it. Maybe you should follow your own advice.

TSB 15815
Do not repair spark plug port threads in aluminum cylinder heads-
Unapproved usage of helicoil for serice
Some engines equipped with aluminum cylinder heads may exhibit spark plug port(s) with stripped or missing threads, "Do not" service stripped or missing spark plug port threads by using "helicoil" or "tapersert" repair kits. It is likely that additonal engine damage or engine failure will occur after an unsuccesful atttempt to service the cylinder head spark plug reports with "helicoil" or taperset. The only authorized service procedure is to replace the cylinder the cylinder head assembly when spark plug port threads are damaged is to replace the cylinder head assembly when spark plug port threads are damaged and in need of service, refer, to the pertinent workshop manual (section 303-1) for cylinder head removal and installation procedures. Note: When servicing spark plugs for any reason , do not use air or powertools and take care to ensure that spark plyugs to not crossthread.

rjstaaf said:
Hmmm what comes around goes around huh. Seems you like to dish it out but, can't take it. Maybe you should follow your own advice.
I'm sorry was there something having to do with MUSTANG TECH in your post there? Didn't THINK so... :nonono:

BAN!

MikeZ28 said:
if you guys don't want too do it to your car thats fine. use anti seize on a motor that has a problem with plugs rattling loose and does not have problems with plugs seizing in the head. :nice:

Strickly your opinion and defintely not fact. Fact is the earlier heads have too few threads for the spark plug and get they blown out if the threads get weakened for any reason. Just because you find a plug sitting on your engine with the coil pack attached does mean it came unthreaded. To make that kind of assumption and to tell people that they should use loctite on an already weak area of the engine is blatently careless.

Sure is amazing how in most cases where the plug is blown out it is still sitting inside the coil boot...the same boot that supposedly is allowing it to rotate ever so slowly as it backs out.

Bill

n0v8or said:
I don't think you will find a Ford TSB, nor will one be issued. If Ford were to publish an opinion, it would be considered "official" and open them to future liability. This doesn't stop them from privately passing the word to the "front line" techs.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. If Ford is disseminating this in ANY manner to the "front line techs", then it is an official company practice and opens them up to liability. Somewhere therre is an internal memo, note, e-mail that can be found that would break this wide open. If not, then I'm sure there are enough disgruntled employees that would step forward as a whistle-blower.

I'll not comment on the theory behind using loc-tite or not, but I won't do it.

Matt

I learned something with this thread. I didn't know about using loctite on modular heads for spark plugs. I was going to ask some people I trust about their thoughts on this, however I have the answer I was looking for without asking. I have never used loctite on my modulars and I won't on my new TBird setup when it gets here.

Mustang92 said:
Strickly your opinion and defintely not fact. Fact is the earlier heads have too few threads for the spark plug and get they blown out if the threads get weakened for any reason. Just because you find a plug sitting on your engine with the coil pack attached does mean it came unthreaded. To make that kind of assumption and to tell people that they should use loctite on an already weak area of the engine is blatently careless.

Sure is amazing how in most cases where the plug is blown out it is still sitting inside the coil boot...the same boot that supposedly is allowing it to rotate ever so slowly as it backs out.

Bill
seems like this is directed to what i told you happened to my plug/head, and you seem hellbent on making me out to be arguing with you, so why dont you tell me what you think caused my plug to come out of my head and break the coil in the process???

Randy Stinchcomb ROCKS !!!
(01lasercobra @ SVT Board)

I think its a bad idea to use loctite.

Ford GOAL is to make the problem go away till the warenty is up, plain FACT.

The dealer is in the middle and could care less about us. (all about selling new cars)

I change my plugs often and will only use anti-sleeze.

I have checked the torque after 15K miles and plugs where tight as the day I put them in.

Former Ford employee

So no to Loctite !!!!!

MikeZ28 said:
your 100 percent wrong.. ford does not want a helicoil repair done for this problem. they said it causes detonation problems. they want the head repalced.

i will be back latterr tonight and post the SSM number and article showing you are wrong on the helicoil repair.

Make up your freakin mind. I thought you said that Loctite was the approved method, not replacement. And I am not 100% wrong, because the dealership did helicoil the heads in question from my previous reply.

You come back with the SSM, or the TSB or whatever freakin acromyn you want to use, for the LOCTITE OF THE PLUG THREADS. Till then, you already proved you're wrong with your above post.

Either way, there is no freakin way in hell you will ever touch my Lightning with a wrench or tube of Loctite. Your advice is dangerous, plain and simple.

joe

RavenGT said:
Make up your freakin mind. I thought you said that Loctite was the approved method, not replacement. And I am not 100% wrong, because the dealership did helicoil the heads in question from my previous reply.

You come back with the SSM, or the TSB or whatever freakin acromyn you want to use, for the LOCTITE OF THE PLUG THREADS. Till then, you already proved you're wrong with your above post.

Either way, there is no freakin way in hell you will ever touch my Lightning with a wrench or tube of Loctite. Your advice is dangerous, plain and simple.

joe
i dont wanna speak for someone else here, but i think hes saying you loctite the plugs before any problem ever occurs. if a problem does occur, then you DONT use a helicoil and you replace the head. :shrug:

SMRcalidiv said:
... so why dont you tell me what you think caused my plug to come out of my head and break the coil in the process???

Poor head design. Not enough threads to properly secure the plug into the head. Plain and simple. That's the reason the head design was changed to allow for more threads.

joe

SMRcalidiv said:
i dont wanna speak for someone else here, but i think hes saying you loctite the plugs before any problem ever occurs. if a problem does occur, then you DONT use a helicoil and you replace the head. :shrug:

I don't want to sound like I am arguing with you, because I am not. But his advice was to Loctite the plugs in all mod motor heads, regardless of whether it is pre- or post-pop. That is BAD ADVICE.

joe

RavenGT said:
I don't want to sound like I am arguing with you, because I am not. But his advice was to Loctite the plugs in all mod motor heads, regardless of whether it is pre- or post-pop. That is BAD ADVICE.

joe
i know youre not arguing, we're cool...i agree he says to loctite the plugs "pre-op", or better yet, pre-f'up. but i dont think hes saying that if a plug gets shot out that loctite will fix it then.

Well, if he says that Loctite will work after the threads get ripped out, then its time for the straightjacket. Lightnings had a problem with the plugs popping, and taking the threads with them, not simply backing out(coming uncrewed).