Quick question regarding tires

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38176

Regarding tire width, what is the widest that I could go on stock 17x8 GT wheels WITHOUT looking absolutely retarded?

I've got 275's on the rears now but I need to replace my 2 front tires. Sooooo, I was thinking of moving the 275's to the front and getting some wider meats out back.

• Sponsors (?)

Regarding tire width, what is the widest that I could go on stock 17x8 GT wheels WITHOUT looking absolutely retarded?

I've got 275's on the rears now but I need to replace my 2 front tires. Sooooo, I was thinking of moving the 275's to the front and getting some wider meats out back.

Most people on here would say 275 is too big even for those rims. I have 275s all around and they bulge a bit but I would like for them to be a bit in. Are you planning on going with the new rims anytime soon? I think I will go back to some 245-265's in the front and 315's out back with the new rims when I get them.

The wider you go in the front, the more the car is going to track. I'd go with the tires that are narrow in the front, and wider in the back. I hated 275's on 17x8's in the front, the car will pull more to cracks, uneven surfaces in the road.

275/40's can vary such a large amount, that it really depends. Years ago, people used to put 305 nitto drag radials on their 17x8 stang wheels, because nittos run so narrow. Personally, I like a slight buldge. Not a big one. But you will lose tread life and not optimize the performance of the tire. I'd go with a 255 up front, and a 265-275 out back.

Ah damn I figured that I'd get these responses. I really wanted to go wider out back but save the tires I have on them now (which are in GREAT shape). Ugh

Are you planning on going with the new rims anytime soon? I think I will go back to some 245-265's in the front and 315's out back with the new rims when I get them.

Well, I only have about $1500 to spend (which I wont be getting until the end of the month (November). I was just about certain that I was going to spend that on some new wheels.....but as someone in my wheel thread mentioned, "stick with the lightweight stockers and spend the money on go-fast parts". As each day goes by, the closer I am to taking that route. Im think that Im going to stick with the stock rims and spend the money on some performance parts. I think that Im going to go with some cams.

The wider you go in the front, the more the car is going to track. I'd go with the tires that are narrow in the front, and wider in the back. I hated 275's on 17x8's in the front, the car will pull more to cracks, uneven surfaces in the road.

275/40's can vary such a large amount, that it really depends. Years ago, people used to put 305 nitto drag radials on their 17x8 stang wheels, because nittos run so narrow. Personally, I like a slight buldge. Not a big one. But you will lose tread life and not optimize the performance of the tire. I'd go with a 255 up front, and a 265-275 out back.

100% the truth. :nice:

I'd personally just get a really good tire in the stock size. Without going to a larger wheel out back, you won't accomplish that offset look by just putting a bigger tire on a stock wheel. You'll only get tire bulge.

Or go with 275's out back again if you like that look. Myself, I'd stick with 245's all the way around in order to be able to rotate the tires since you're on the stock width wheels.

I'd personally just get a really good tire in the stock size. Without going to a larger wheel out back, you won't accomplish that offset look by just putting a bigger tire on a stock wheel. You'll only get tire bulge.

Or go with 275's out back again if you like that look. Myself, I'd stick with 245's all the way around in order to be able to rotate the tires since you're on the stock width wheels.

It definitely is nice to be able to rotate tires. :)

You could go 275's all around on 17x9's and only have to buy two tires.

Or buy the big meats for the back and buy some 17x9's for the front 275's.

from experience i have found out that go fast parts and stock rims with 275's in the rear dont mix...if you want go fast parts you def need to go wider in the rear...i absolutely love the stockers BUT, no mater what i did i had zero traction when it came to needing it...the second i stepped up to a wider rim/tire set up, ive only had a small amount of tire spin..and that had only happened maybe 3 times out of the 10 times ive played with the car

normally id say f the rims and get the go fast but trust me, ive learned by experience you need the traction first....svtperformance always has good deals there so maybe you can find a set of nice used rims/tires...few days ago there was a set of fr's with tires for $500