Quick questions regarding the power steering lines

Chowder Head

Dec 30, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hey guys, I recently replaced my steering rack with a whole bunch of other suspension mods and had a problem. I fired it up for the first time yesterday and noticed I had no power steering whatsoever. I look underneath the car and I see a noticeable amount of power steering fluid on the floor, next to the driver side rack bolt. I can only assume this leak is coming from one of the two lines on the rack, either the return line or the pressure line. Stupid me didn't do the research prior that mentions a new o-ring should be used so I instead used the same one which might explain the leak.

Now regarding that, here are my questions.

1. Should I put new o-ring's on both lines? I would think so but I read somewhere to only use it on the pressure line so I'm a little confused.

2. Since I have to take the lines off anyway (again...) do you think I should just go ahead and flush the system out? If I want to flush it out, all I would have to do is disconnect the return line and put that in a pan or something right? Also, what's a good fluid to use if choose to flush it? I've heard of people running ATF but what makes that more appealing to use than regular power steering fluid?

3. Lastly, and this may be me, but does anyone have tricks to taking off and re-installing the lines? For some reason it's always been such a bitch job to me, even when I unbolt the rack a bit and slide the shaft off for more clearance. The lines are angled in the gayest way and it's so damn time consuming to line them up in the hole perfectly for the wrench to tighten them down.

Any replies would be great thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

You made the same mistake I did, re-used the nylon washers. In my case, I only have a small leak on the high-pressure line at the pump. I would just put new ones on the high-pressure line, and see if your leaks are gone. As to flushing the system, if the fluid is not clear then it's worth a flush IMO. Yes, disconnect the return line from the pump - and plug the return fitting on the pump so you don't dump PSF all over the place. I've heard of ATF instead of PSF as well, but I haven't found any reasoning for it.

No special tricks for removing the lines from the rack, they are just a major PITA.

W.T.F.

Sometimes I really wonder why I bother. So I go out today, get the lines off and put new o-rings on both (I hate these lines so much) and it is STILL leaking from the lines. I took a flashlight to them and they both look like they're leaking. Great. I have no idea how this is happening. Granted, it's a much smaller leak but not so small that I can say screw it, this is good enough.

When I fired it up and let it idle without touching the wheel, I didn't spot a leak. But after a few near full lock turns left and right a few times, that's when it leaks the most. It's not so much pouring out, but like a fast drip.

What the hell? I mean, I put the o-ring on both of them, tightened them good, and I'm still getting leaks. What's the next step?

Thanks in advance guys.

Man, even the teflon tape didn't help; I don't get it. I put the o-ring on perfectly, applied the tape perfectly, and it still leaks? Can I try anything else? I thought maybe the lines were bad but the leak is happening right at the threads that go into the rack.

Do you guys think some Lucas power steering stop leak might do something worthwhile? I can't think of anything else and I'd hate to take it somewhere for something so stupid.

Thanks in advance guys.