Quiet Exhaust

resonator like equipment AFTER the muffs sounded interesting above. More info?

I like TURBOs for performance (MPGs & pep). My Italian cars hada rez B4 the muff
on many occasions (& one of the best sounds even tho 4 cyl).
I don't like loud either but DO like a nice burble esp on down shift, going dwn a hill
or other similar. Some avoid the drone ofa turbo w/fiberglass (isnt that Dynomax?)
or that weird extra pipe w/the dead end ('Halbert's pipe' or sompin).

• Sponsors (?)

Love NYC
I was lucky enough to be able to go to the top of the World Trade Center tower ! I think in 77
Tower 2 was not complete yet
We went out on the observation deck or whatever it was and looked off
Scary as sheet, damn building was swaying ever so slightly in the wind
110 stories up or something. Went to the top of the Empire State Building too. Marvelous, just marvelous
You two should get out here to UT and do some touring someday
The mormunions and our politics are bearable for both sides

Damn straight
If you want quiet, a resonator is the best answer
They always told us in school that they have little to no effect on performance
Meaning they think the added exhaust pressure is negligible
Don't see them much anymore and the dam things were 200 bucks

Hi All,

I have a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 that I just purchased. The car has stock headers, hi-flow cats and a mac exhaust.

I'm looking for a quieter muffler with no drone as the mac exhaust is loud inside at cruising speeds.

I've seen a few posts from years ago where people suggested super turbo's. I've had them on my previous mustangs and they were loud inside at cruising speeds.

Looking for some recommendations. Thank you all for looking!
I have a 95 convertible. A friend had the Flowmaster 2-chamber American Thunder with no noise issues. Nice sound, no annoying drone. So, I figured the quieter 3-chamber would certainly work for me. WRONG! Just know, if you have a convertible, it will really works against you.
When I needed a replacement exhaust, my local Brake King recommended a Magna Flow style muffler instead of the Flowmaster style. It definitely helped. I (and my wife) were much happier. Nice sound, without the drone.
Two other things: I read a fairly extensive X-pipe and H-pipe test one time. It's just one study, but they tested a lot of pipes, and EVERY X-pipe was quieter than every H-pipe. Also, you can apparently do a lot to drown the drone by thoroughly sound proofing your trunk floor. I hope some of that helps.

Anyone want to roll the dice and see if two OEM mufflers show up?

ED9FA58E-8444-45EF-A35D-93B3A43818EF.png

Last edited:
do a lot to drown the drone by...
not getting the turbo. They used to B4 performance. They have often been accused of 'drone' (that in the ear constant pain on freeway). Now I believe there's another design. I never heard of chambered having a 'drone'. Straight thru (what was a track only design is noe being made for the st) are like the turbo w/the perforated inner tube but not in the "S" shape...straight thru. Modern turbos also have a glass pac, I dont thing they used to. The straight thru has none. I am considering them. Need to hear one on the st/in person. Isnt there one more design?...

not getting the turbo. They used to B4 performance. They have often been accused of 'drone' (that in the ear constant pain on freeway). Now I believe there's another design. I never heard of chambered having a 'drone'. Straight thru (what was a track only design is noe being made for the st) are like the turbo w/the perforated inner tube but not in the "S" shape...straight thru. Modern turbos also have a glass pac, I dont thing they used to. The straight thru has none. I am considering them. Need to hear one on the st/in person. Isnt there one more design?...
Forums are full of people with chambered mufflers complaining about the drone. I didn't know to look until after I bought my 3-chamber (the quietest) Flowmasters. I would still look into Magnaflow, and sound deadening in the trunk, but that drone killing pipe sounds interesting. I wonder if it could be made by inserting one pipe into another, like a slide trombone, and tuned that way.

there's an ol technology that's come back. The 'Hliderberg pipe' (my spelling should B way off). It is a weird hang on (almost like our appendix) that is kinda dead end off the side of the typical exh run. I think now the inventor;s dead (just my suposition) some modern manafacturers are trying it. I see DYI at it too. That's as close to a 'T Bone' as I can get 4 ya. Juss call me "Naworlenz'

+1 on resonators to start if you like the sound but just want to quiet it down. I did this on my II a couple years ago and it made it much more tolerable. My suggestion would be to get the longest glass pack style muffler you can fit into the space of your existing pipe's straightest location. For example, here's what my exhaust looks like out of the car.

1649947304648.png

This would probably be about the cheapest route. I'd give this a shot before dropping a lot more on different mufflers that you're not 100% sure would give you what you want. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi All,

I have a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 that I just purchased. The car has stock headers, hi-flow cats and a mac exhaust.

I'm looking for a quieter muffler with no drone as the mac exhaust is loud inside at cruising speeds.

I've seen a few posts from years ago where people suggested super turbo's. I've had them on my previous mustangs and they were loud inside at cruising speeds.

Looking for some recommendations. Thank you all for looking!
I love my MAC exhaust with 3 inch flow master tails and super 44 flow master mufflers no drone and sound so sweet when you give it gas.

Reactions: 1 user
I got some DB readings of my current exhaust.

JBA shorty headers
Bassani catted X-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back.

6 feet behind the car

Idle: 86 dB
5500RPM rev: 106 dB

I plan on swapping the mufflers out with Borla Pro XS. WIll update down the road to see if any difference

Reactions: 1 user