Quietest Free Flowing Muffler

• Sponsors (?)

Gearbanger 101 said:
Ughhhhh, are you kidding? Mac's are as loud as 2-chamber Flows and they drone like crazy. Don't get me wrong, they sound good and very muscular, but quiet, they are not.

They're not THAT bad.... :rolleyes: I said they're not TOO loud. They're loud, don't get me wrong. As for the dreaded drone. They aren't all that bad there either IMO. But that's me. I don't believe thay are as loud as 2 chamber Blowmasters. 3 chamber maybe.....

I'd like to hear those 3 chamber MagnaFlows. Didn't know they have those.

tjm73 said:
They're not THAT bad.... :rolleyes: I said they're not TOO loud. They're loud, don't get me wrong. As for the dreaded drone. They aren't all that bad there either IMO. But that's me. I don't believe thay are as loud as 2 chamber Blowmasters. 3 chamber maybe.....

I'd like to hear those 3 chamber MagnaFlows. Didn't know they have those.
Actually, the Macs are identical sounding to the 2-chamber Flows, if not a little louder. They're almost the same, right down to the way they're designed. Check it out. Three chamber Flows are much quieter. The amount of drone you have will depend on what the rest of your system is like. I had a huge amount on my old 5.0L with shorties, 2 1/2 X-pipe and cat back. At first I though it was because I had an OHV 5.0L and not a modular engine, but my buddy bought nearly the exact same set up as mine for his 2000 GT and the same "drone" was present. A gear swap would help to keep you out of the 1800-2100 rpm range where it's worse, but it's still obtrusive none the less.

I've had both 2 chamber flows and Mac flowpaths...they are identical in loudness...the Mac's have a slightly more performance sound to them...but very deep at idle...

The term "loud" is not scientific on stangnet :)

I'm not the person to be asking for quiet muffler advice, but my friend had borla's and they were quiet, i don't know what kind, but i hope that steers you in the right direction. I am currently running 2 chamber flowmasters, longtubes, and an off road x-pipe, no tailpipes. I set off car alarms at will and i love it. I'm switching back to my flowtech terminator mufflers when I get tailpipes for more power and without tailpipes, I'd be afraid to break windows. Considering how loud they were 125 hp ago.

The nice thing about chambered (sound reflection) design is that there's nothing to wear out -- they don't change volume much over time. Any of the perforated designs (Borla, Magnaflow straight-thrus, Bassani, etc.) is that over time the packing deteriorates and volume increases. No way around it, although the steel wool packing holds up better than fiberglass.

Michael Yount said:
The nice thing about chambered (sound reflection) design is that there's nothing to wear out -- they don't change volume much over time. Any of the perforated designs (Borla, Magnaflow straight-thrus, Bassani, etc.) is that over time the packing deteriorates and volume increases. No way around it, although the steel wool packing holds up better than fiberglass.
Actually,Bassani is a non-chambered muffler.(Quiet Thunder)

Read it again - that's what I said.

Although I left a couple words out - oral surgery this afternoon; apparently the pain pills are a bit stronger than I thought!

Should have said:

"The nice thing about chambered (sound reflection) design is that there's nothing to wear out -- they don't change volume much over time. Any of the perforated designs (Borla, Magnaflow straight-thrus, Bassani, etc.) have packing that deteriorates over time and the volume increases. No way around it, although the steel wool packing holds up better than fiberglass.

Michael Yount said:
Read it again - that's what I said.

Although I left a couple words out - oral surgery this afternoon; apparently the pain pills are a bit stronger than I thought!

Should have said:

"The nice thing about chambered (sound reflection) design is that there's nothing to wear out -- they don't change volume much over time. Any of the perforated designs (Borla, Magnaflow straight-thrus, Bassani, etc.) have packing that deteriorates over time and the volume increases. No way around it, although the steel wool packing holds up better than fiberglass.
Nothing wrong with a couple of pain pills every now and then :nice:

I am also looking to quiet mine down. That 2K drone is driving me crazy. I just got some 2 1/2" tips and want to replace my Flows while I'm at it. I have done a search and came across this thread.

I called my local muff shop who carries Flows, Magnaflow and Dynomax. The owner has been a friend of mine forever and what he told me to do was go with the Dynomax Super Turbos. I asked about the Magnaflows and he said that's his second choice but he said what I'm looking for are the Super Turbos.

I have equal length headers, O/R H with 2 chamber Flows...those Flows suk. On my previous 89, I had the same set up but had the 3 chamber 50 series Flows. Don't fool yourself. It still had a drone that made my wife not ride with me in it. So for those thinking the 3 chamber Flows is the answer...DON'T DO IT!!!

I ordered the Super Turbos and will install Monday. I'll keep ya posted.

AXIStang said:
I have Flowmaster 2-chambers with turndowns right at my rear axle (along with a Mac Off-Road h-pipe) and every time my girlfriend rides in the car with me she says "your car is too loud its giving me a headache." We dont ride in it often but I would like to make it quieter for that reason and also to attract less attention from local law enforcement (the bad kind of attention). What is a good quiet muffler that offers little or no restriction? Thanks,

Cody B
My favorite is Magnaflow 2 1/2 in 3 out. Man what a difference! I put em on my 93 GT and it sounded like stock and gave me a 4rwh over my flowcrappers.

I'll tell you right now that the best quiet muffler I have ever owned were Hooker Max Flows.... With my stock H pipe you couldn't hear it idle & WOT sounded like a damned BMW.

I thought it was awesome...sleeper effect :) Put it to a couple folks that thought I had nothing b/c it was so quiet.

Michael Yount said:
MSTANG - can you give me a part number or a link on the specific Hooker mufflers you used - including their size? Also, do you run cats?

Sure thing Michael.. Summitt's part # is HOK-21604HKR They are offset inlet & outlet 18"s in length which is the same as a mustang muffler. I used the 2.5 in/out diameter. They are straight through with packing that hooker claims won't burnt out or blow out over time. I ran cat's with them when they were quiet like a BMW at WOT with an off road it's still pretty mellow unless your really in the gas hard.

Here's hookers description:

The Hooker Maximum Flow muffler actually flows 99% and produces more horsepower and torque than a 2-1/2" open pipe. The Maximum Flow is constructed of all aluminized and stainless steel and uses a high temperature packing material to absorb excessive noise while allowing a mellow powerful sound. As with all absorption type silencers, the Maximum Flow will be most effective for sound control with lower compression (8.5 to 1 and lower) motors with conservative camshafts and with applications using catalytic converter(s). The Maximum Flow flows either direction, allowing for easy installation.

This is Hooker's part #.....P/N 21604HKR

Hope that's not overkill for you...

mike

Attachments

• 21604A.gif
    21604A.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 116
I LOVE the details as you may have surmised. But, you told the most important thing - you had cats on it too when it was really quiet. Cats make a VERY big difference in sound attenuation, and I'm not planning on putting them back on to quiet mine down. I'm afraid the Hookers will be too loud for me without cats - especially if they're a straight through design. I've got a straight through 18" case Magnaflow on mine now (3" in/out) feeding a SpinTech, and it's just way too loud. I'm gonna configure a custom set up that uses two oem C5 Corvette mufflers mounted back behind the axle transversely. That ought to shut it up.

Michael Yount said:
I LOVE the details as you may have surmised. But, you told the most important thing - you had cats on it too when it was really quiet. Cats make a VERY big difference in sound attenuation, and I'm not planning on putting them back on to quiet mine down. I'm afraid the Hookers will be too loud for me without cats - especially if they're a straight through design. I've got a straight through 18" case Magnaflow on mine now (3" in/out) feeding a SpinTech, and it's just way too loud. I'm gonna configure a custom set up that uses two oem C5 Corvette mufflers mounted back behind the axle transversely. That ought to shut it up.

Well i don't know how much this helps you but i gave that same mufflers to a friend with a turbo coupe & an old school 240Z he put one on each & they are both surprizingly quiet especially considering no converter's on the turbocoupe & 3" from the turbo back to the muffler. he's in love them now too.
The only reason i went back to a MAC cat back is simply b/c I wanted some bark but not be deaffening or drone. The construction on those mufflers is very stout can't see it failing very fast like some others I know :)

I've hear magna flows & spin techs but I never considered them particularly quite. I can't say I've heard a wide diversity of them but from what I have heard i would have to say that the Maxflows are atleast 25-30% quieter (no real messurments to prove this ...just more of a observation).

Let me know what works out for you with the volvo, I've always been kinda of facinated with your car. Just wonder just how stealthy it is & just how many people you shock with it :nice: I know I had alot of laughs when I had the stock converters on there with those Flowmax's :owned: