Quietest Free Flowing Muffler

I haven't had the Hooker Max Flows but I have had the Hooker Aerochambers and they sounded good :nice: ...I should have never swapped them out for my 2 chamber flows...I could have spent money elsewhere...but I like the flows...

The Aerochambers were a straight thru design...you could look through them and see the other side...they were a bit quieter than the flows are now...maybe 25% more sound with the addition of the flows (all else being the same) over the Hookers...

• Sponsors (?)

Michael Yount said:
"Quiet for regular driving, and they sounds good when you go WOT! "

Not my experience with Magnaflow - mine's too loud for me all the time.

I would tend to think this is b/c you are pushing more air through a realtivly smaller muffler than mustangs. The way i see it & feel free to correct me... the amount of velocity vs. area for the sound to be absorbed is smaller by comparison.

IE
3" pipe with a 2 3" mufflers all flowing through the same tube there for velocity should be higher compared the the mustang with 2 2.5" mufflers & pipes should have less velocity to contend with.

i may be imagining crap so feel free to smack me down :lol: :p

Two issues - first, I'm not comparing it to anyone else's Mustang - just to the sound level I'm looking for on mine. Second - I've had Bassani, Flowmaster, SpinTech and Magnaflow all on mine. The current combo is the loudest of all of them - Magnaflow feeding into the SpinTech. I removed a small SpinTech resonator (3" in/out - 3" deep, 6" wide, 9" long case upstream of the rearmost SpinTech muffler) and replaced it with the 18" long Magnaflow thinking the Magnaflow would quiet things more than the dinky SpinTech resonator. The opposite was true - the Magnaflow was even louder.

Oh - and you have to remember - sound attenuation and flow are two completely different things. You can do things that will decrease flow that may make it louder, quieter or the same volume. You can do things that will increase flow that will make it louder, quieter or the same volume. Whether the flow and/or velocity is different may have no bearing at all on the volume.

Michael Yount said:
"Quiet for regular driving, and they sounds good when you go WOT! "

Not my experience with Magnaflow - mine's too loud for me all the time.

My exhaust is JBA shorties, BBK 2.5in catted h-pipe and then the Magnaflows that are dumped. I have drone masters now, so I guess in comparison, the Magnaflows are quieter. I had the M-flows on before the drone masters, and thought it was fairly quiet :)

I think Borla, Magnaflow and Dynomax are the quietest out there.

I run Borla Turbo XS mufflers on my 347 stroker with longtubes and an X pipe with no cats. It is still loud, but not obnoxiously so. It is semi quiet at idle and cruising speed. Loud and racecar sounding when I step on it. Zero drone. You can still hear me for 2-3 blocks. Basically this is how I wanted my exhaust set up and I love it. If I had cats I bet it would be pretty quiet. I was running shorty headers, catted X pipe, and the same borla catback on a stock motor 5.0 and it was as quiet as stock until I got on it. It was actually quieter than my stock droptop with 3 chamber flows.

I had 2 chamber flows on my hatch and it sounded BADASS but it was way too loud, droned like hell, and gave me a headache on the freeway. I am more than satisfied now.

tjm73 said:
That's what I'm thinkin'. She should just learn to deal with it or not ride in the car. As for avoiding the attention of Johnny Law, MAC's sound good with out being too loud. That's what I run without issues with "The Man".

I have a Mac catback and off road H with stock headers on my car and it's pretty loud. From the cars I've heard with 2 chamber flows I'd say it's as loud if not a bit louder. There's definately a drone at 2k rpm, which is the only thing I don't really like about them. They sound great in a very agressive musclecar kind of way... but I definately wouldn't call them even remotely quiet. I'm afraid of waking people up when I come home late at night.

Them dynomax race bullets are INTENSELY loud! I have them with an offroad X pipe and no tails/OR dumps... they come straight out the mufflers...

My mother has to gho to the hospital sometime next week.. I had to drive her to work last monday and since then, she has intense ringing in her ears and cant hear worth a shyt! That shows how loud these are.. Loud and MEANNNNNNNN

back to the thread... The first thing i would do is keep the 2 chambers and just put tailpipes on it... you have no idea how much quieter it will be inside the car.... sure it would sound mean outside, but where does your girlfriend sit? int he seat or strapped on the roof??? by putting tails on, you will eliminate mostly all of the interior noise and bring it to the outside of the car.....i wouldnt lose them 2 chambers!

FiVeLiTeR87GT said:
back to the thread... The first thing i would do is keep the 2 chambers and just put tailpipes on it... you have no idea how much quieter it will be inside the car.... sure it would sound mean outside, but where does your girlfriend sit? int he seat or strapped on the roof??? by putting tails on, you will eliminate mostly all of the interior noise and bring it to the outside of the car.....i wouldnt lose them 2 chambers!
Actually, tailpipes won't help. 2-chambers are gonna drone whatever way you slice it. It's just the nature and the design of the muffler. Tailpipes may quieten it down, in the sense that you don't have the outlet bellowing out right under your ass anymore, but the resonance drone is still going to be present, regardless.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Actually, tailpipes won't help. 2-chambers are gonna drone whatever way you slice it. It's just the nature and the design of the muffler. Tailpipes may quieten it down, in the sense that you don't have the outlet bellowing out right under your ass anymore, but the resonance drone is still going to be present, regardless.

Im not entirely sure i agree with you 100%

My experiences with dumps...... with dumps on the car, it made it alot louder inside the car, but making it quieter outside seeing that the exhaust is coming UNDER the car rather then straight out the back...... With tailpipes on, it significantly quieted the inside down, but made it alot louder outside the car..... With my old 2 chambers and tailpipes, it was nice and quiet inside the car with a loud scream outside. Thats JMO... worth a shot! i wouldnt lose them nice sounding 2 chambers for something quieter.