R.I.P. Scott Kalitta

Nik_95Cobra

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Tempe, Arizona
Not sure how many of you have heard or follow drag racing but driver Scott Kalitta died at the hospital today following a crash in his DHL funny car.

"Spectators at the track watched as Kalitta's car exploded, hit a sand trap, then vaulted over a protective catch fence. A slow-moving ambulance took the driver away.

Kalitta, 46, was pronounced dead at a hospital in Old Bridge after his car lost control during the fourth and final round of qualifying at the National Hot Rod Association Super Nationals, according to statement by the association."

This is horrible news. Prayers go out to him and his family, a very sad day for all.

large_funnycar.jpg

View attachment 313597

• Sponsors (?)

I actually met him a few years back. Very briefly, after an event at National Trails. A very nice, pleasant man. He was a little perturbed that I had brought him pieces of his very expensive blower that had exploded, though. (I found out today of his passing, as I was telling someone that story.)

He will be missed. Prayers go out to his family.

Video of the horrific run. Watch at your own risk, knowing the outcome it's very hard to see. The runout area is a joke, looks like 10 feet of sand and a small net. Check out the camera boom at the end of the run, have seen net reports that the cameraman was injured as well...Dark day in the NHRA for sure. I hope they give them more room now to prevent things like this in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

Video of the horrific run. Watch at your own risk, knowing the outcome it's very hard to see. The runout area is a joke, looks like 10 feet of sand and a small net. Check out the camera boom at the end of the run, have seen net reports that the cameraman was injured as well...Dark day in the NHRA for sure. I hope they give them more room now to prevent things like this in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

The sand trap area at E-town is actually pretty long. It just seems a lot shorter because the car went through it so fast. My father was racing his Chevelle there a few years back and the butterfly on the carb got stuck open and he had to run into the sand trap. Thank god he was ok, but it was quite a scare.

This is a horrible event and my prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP, Scott.

I can't image what Connie is going through right now. I've also met Scott and watched him throughout the years and always liked the Kalittas conducted business. My prayers go out to him and family esp. Connie.

The sand trap area at E-town is actually pretty long. It just seems a lot shorter because the car went through it so fast. My father was racing his Chevelle there a few years back and the butterfly on the carb got stuck open and he had to run into the sand trap. Thank god he was ok, but it was quite a scare.

This is a horrible event and my prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP, Scott.
After some reading, I found out the the runout area at E-town is one of the longer tracks in the NHRA series. I know I have been to Pomona, and the runoff area there is a joke. It's almost guaranteed that a few cars will end up in the sand there.

I was at a friends house and looked up at the replay of the crash on ESPN without knowing what had happened, and I knew as soon as I saw it that it did not end well.

RIP Scott

I saw this Saturday night. As soon as you see the crash you know that there is no way that he survived.

Eric Medlin last year now Scott Kalitta:(. John Force also was in a severe crash last year that was nearly fatal. I'm afraid that like Jim Head (another funny car racer) said after the crash Saturday that the NHRA will probably end up having to shorten the race to 1,000ft to keep from losing more racers like Eric Medlin and Scott Kalitta.

R.I.P. Scott Kalitta

After watching the vid again it looks like the cherry picker was parked right behind the barracade and the car launched into it dead on. The coroner said he was unconcious upon the first explosion so I guess if there's anything to be glad about it's that he didn't have to suffer through it all. :(