Rack & Pinion- Power vs. Non

robbz28

Sep 23, 2009
Epps, LA
Ok, another steering post, but I need some honest opinions for whenever my care gets back from the body shop (if-ever). I know for a fact I am going to eliminate my factory power steering setup, despite all my efforts, its a leaker, nothing seems to fix it, im sick of it. I have been back and forth over borgenson vs. rack & pinon, still thinking that one out. But what I want to know is how much harder is it to steer a manual rack over a power rack? Is it worth the extra money? This car will be driven a lot, I really hope after the 5 speed swap and my mild little 289 that I can make this car get 22 or so mpg (better than the 15 that my tundra gets on avg), and use this car for my daily 60 mile round trip commute (on nice days). So any and all opinions are welcome, as well as with what company you may think has the best product. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I took the 70' power steering system off my 351c car. I think it was a mistake now.
With it sitting on the ground, I can't even turn the wheel(not moving).
I like the rack idea but it's too much money for me.
The Borgensen set up reminds me of my 71 set up, it works great.
I used the manual center link and the bolt off the pitman arm is crazy long. I was going to swap the pitman arm for the manual one , but I am second guessing the whole thing now.

I noted in your signature your 65 has IRS, how do you like that? There is actually a Cobra IRS (05 I think) on our local craigslist for stupid cheap.

The Heidt's IRS in my 65 is good for:
1. Ride - far superior to straight axle. Even better than my 06 GT.
2. The car is stable even when hitting a pot hole while accelerating out of a corner. No jumping sideways.
3. Wow! factor.

The bad:
1. Very expensive.
2. Requires many hours of work and good fabrication skills to install.

I have also installed a 2003 Cobra IRS in my 67 but have not finished the car yet.
The good:
1. Should ride and handle very well.
2. Can be purchased relatively inexpensively.
3. Compact package all in one.
The bad.
1. It is very heavy. About 300lbs with everything.
2. To install you either need to buy the DVS kit (which isn't cheap) or have good fabrication skills.
3. It's just a little too wide to use standard offset wheels.

To sum it up I wouldn't do it again but I don't regret doing it.

Well im gathering that when I do this, I should spring for the power setup. Now I need to figure out what brand. I really like the Total Control setup, but hear a lot of guys have the Flaming River.

Well im gathering that when I do this, I should spring for the power setup. Now I need to figure out what brand. I really like the Total Control setup, but hear a lot of guys have the Flaming River.

I have the TCP power rack.. Expensive, but EXTREMELY nice. I will do it again if I get another car.

Very easy to install, no issues with the geometry creating bump steer.

IMO OE power steering is way to go if it is hard to steer. None of r&p kits seems to have as massive steering rods as OE. Regular iron tubing is used, or seamless tubes at best. The alluminium cube between center link rod and rack does not add strength too.