Rack & Pinion Question

Protowrxs said:
Exactly my thoughts... It looks like the Randalls is mounted much further forward as well for long tube headers plus it sounds like it works with other PS pumps possibely without issues. It will be double nice to not only have R&P but power steering back as well.

-Stephen

randalls is also modified somewhat from a stock j-car rack, he machines the housing to put the steering linkage behind the rack instead of in front like a stock j-car unit. that is the reason he is able to mount it further forward than the steeroids rack. i also like the cradle he uses as opposed to the end brackets that steeroids and even RRS use, hell even the TCP rack is mounted simalarly to the RRS and streeoids units but they also incorporate a bracket that attaches it the lower control arm mounts as well.

• Sponsors (?)

70vert said:
Thanks for posting this. I have the Steeroids rack and I have been running it "as is" for about a year now with no problems, but I can see the issues and would love to incorporate your mods.
Din't get pm but you can call my shop 415-456-1080 Bruce 8-5:
I sorta enjoyed fixing it and would love to help out.

66Runt said:
... so far (about 1,000 twisty miles) with Randall's rack. ... The down side is your turning radius is about like a mid 80s Tarus, or 90s Mitsubishi Spyder. ... While I have not driven a car equiped with the TCP rack, I'd imagine it to be pretty much the same.

The "number of turns" statement that many manufacturers use is somewhat of a hollow fact unless there is a travel measurement that goes along with it.

Example 1: 2 turns, 3" of travel = 1.5" per turn
Example 2: 3 turns, 6" of travel = 2" per turn

"2 turns" sounds better initially but the second example will be the quicker responding rack with the tighter turning radius, assuming both use the same spindle. In order to satisy my curiosity, could the various rack and pinion owners measure the actual amount of steering travel directly at the centerlink, and post their findings?

i'm going to go with the Unisteer rack and see that works out...i've read quite a few threads on this board regarding R&P systems and there isn't much info on these units, except saying that the mounting design seems better and beefier than the FR rack....if i had the money though, randall's rack would be the way i go...

8969muscle said:
i'm going to go with the Unisteer rack and see that works out...i've read quite a few threads on this board regarding R&P systems and there isn't much info on these units, except saying that the mounting design seems better and beefier than the FR rack....if i had the money though, randall's rack would be the way i go...

I called and spoke with Randall. I spoke with them before about their system and he told me he was doing a setup for a 65 with a z bar.

Now he is has a finished product, and he seems very pleased with it. The Randall system is about 1600 and some change with the pump. Not so bad imo. How much is the system you are talking about, and where can I get some info on it. I like to check every angle before I go with my choice. Though I really think randalls system will be the one I purchase anyway.

the unisteer (maval) manual rack is advertised for $875 on their website....this is one of the reasons i'm going with it along with the fact that i haven't seen any negative feedback from the mustang crowd...randall's price isn't bad at all but the difference in price i can definitely use elsewhere...it can be found at unisteer.com

70vert said:
Thanks for posting this. I have the Steeroids rack and I have been running it "as is" for about a year now with no problems, but I can see the issues and would love to incorporate your mods.

And hey, cut us guys who chose Steeroids some slack - back up about a year and a half, year and nine months, and it was very hard to get a TCP rack and it was unclear after Chassisworks bought them when and if they would be available. And I don't remember people saying clearly "stay away from Steeroids"

I'm over in Oakland, I'd love to see those pics (PM sent) but even better, maybe we could meet up and talk mods - check out my sig.

I hear that. I was one of the TCP customers who got left hanging over two years ago when they folded. I ordered my TCP rack in January 2004. The first week of February, TCP attempted to charge my Visa for the full amount while I was in France on business. I wound up denying the charge, after TCP informed me the rack was at least 3 weeks from shipping. In mid March, after the second week of not getting any of my messages returned, I left work early one afternoon to pay a visit to TCP in Elk Grove. I found Terry Buch on the premises after banging on the rollup. He seemed helpful and informative at the time, and assured me things would be back on track soon. He then explained TCP was in the process of being acquired. Whatever deal was in the works at the time of my visit obviously didn't happen.

According to Terry, TCP had to stop work because they were unable to get the Woodward servos. Something didn't seem right, so I followed up with an e-mail to Woodward, and Tony Woodward himself responded. This is ancient history now, but the story is TCP had written $40K worth of bad checks to Woodward. They were denied parts until they made good on the debt, and were subsequently placed on a COD basis. The last dealing Woodward had with Terry Buch ended when TCP turned away a $56K shipment due to lack of funds.

Anyway, I checked out the FR, Steeroids, and Randalls offerings during this time since no one could know if TCP was going to return. Steeroids did not have a power option, neither did FR, and the FR rack was known to be sub-standard (apparently still is). Randalls was an option, but I didn't feel good about a GM part on my Cougar. A few months later Chassis Works assumed the TCP brand, and I didn't have look to further.

Steve C.

No problem. It would be nice to get some actual turning radius measurements as well

Psydwaze said:
The "number of turns" statement that many manufacturers use is somewhat of a hollow fact unless there is a travel measurement that goes along with it.

Example 1: 2 turns, 3" of travel = 1.5" per turn
Example 2: 3 turns, 6" of travel = 2" per turn

"2 turns" sounds better initially but the second example will be the quicker responding rack with the tighter turning radius, assuming both use the same spindle. In order to satisy my curiosity, could the various rack and pinion owners measure the actual amount of steering travel directly at the centerlink, and post their findings?

I meant to take a stock measurement on turning radius before I changed over, but got too excited to do the install and forgot all about it.
Will have to wait until the weekend to get measurements. Will try to post Saturday evening. I will tell you, the ratio of degrees the steering wheel turns compared to degrees turned on the front wheels is pretty steep. It steers very quickly, even with the reduced turning angle at the tire.

Anyways, I can cover the Randall's rack, who's going to cover the TCP, F.R. and Steeroids?

Scott.

bnickel said:
randalls is also modified somewhat from a stock j-car rack, he machines the housing to put the steering linkage behind the rack instead of in front like a stock j-car unit. that is the reason he is able to mount it further forward than the steeroids rack. i also like the cradle he uses as opposed to the end brackets that steeroids and even RRS use, hell even the TCP rack is mounted simalarly to the RRS and streeoids units but they also incorporate a bracket that attaches it the lower control arm mounts as well.

Yeah, I noticed the linkage on the rear of the rack in the pics. Looks like it fits up nicely. I agree with the cradle solution as well and it looks pretty solid. Once I get the front end cleaned up and new suspension in on mine I'm planning on trying to go that direction later this summer. Of course it will be another year or two before I ever get to try it out.. :(

-Stephen

70XR7ConvertCat said:
Lino, do you know how that compares to stock? I've found the TCP turning radius isn't as tight.

I am not sure about anything but 65/66 since that is what I am working on right now to make a decent no compromise rack setup. On a 65/66 the lock to lock travel varies depending upon whether the car is lowered and how far but I have measured a range of about 6 3/4" to 7 1/8" and the more the car is lowered the more travel needed seems to be the case. I haven't tested with extreme lowered stances so it might take a little more in some cases. I need to measure a 67-70 car.

I have several thousand miles up on an RRS power rack and their front struts which includes their own spindles. Steering and ride is excellent with no detectable bump steer. Installation was easy in a home workshop.

Marshall

70XR7ConvertCat said:
Lino, do you know how that compares to stock? I've found the TCP turning radius isn't as tight.

We've seen ranges of 6-3/8" to a bit over 7" as confirmed by Ronstang. Variables such as model year, ride height, strut rod type/condition, and installed spindle will all have some bearing on the measurement.

Psydwaze said:
Turns Lock-to-Lock: 3.05
Centerlink Travel: 6.375"
Travel per turn: 2.09"
Is that at your normal ride height?, and if so what is the distance between the center of the wheel, and the top of the fender? Also what year, and do you have stock control arms with a 1" "Shelby" drop? In order to compare apples to apples, we need to be at the same point in suspension travel, as suspension angle does make a difference, due to the arc it travels in.

I should be able to match your specs, as long as your car isn't set too low, or have non-stock A arms.
Thanks,

Scott

Cannoball888 said:
I was once told by Randall's Rack that with their R&P kit a car will lose 3 feet of turning radius. That's a lot IMO, and a big inconvenience if you do a lot of tight city driving.

It could be close to three feet. It does make a noticable difference. Although the only time I notice it is in a tight "U" turn. Parking lots, and normal around town driving really isn't an issue for me. It goes and parks anywhere I want it to. Especially with the "power steering".
YMMV.

Scott

Psydwaze said:
We've seen ranges of 6-3/8" to a bit over 7" as confirmed by Ronstang. Variables such as model year, ride height, strut rod type/condition, and installed spindle will all have some bearing on the measurement.

I've left marks on either end of the tube, which I believe are caused by my tierods touching down at extreme lock. I may decide to correct this by fashioning a stop of some sort. I need to lift the front end and determine exactly what is hitting. Something as simple as a bumpsteer kit may solve the problem. The car is a '67 Cougar XR-7 with a Shelby mod. I park in an underground garage at work, and I can tell you my 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 (130" wheelbase) can find it's way out of some parking spaces easier than the TCP equipped Cougar.

66Runt said:
Is that at your normal ride height?

Centerlink travel of the TCP rack is limited by internal stops within the rack. The two centerlink studs ride within slots in the rack tube. The visible tube between the two rubber boots is a dust cover and moves with the centerlink. Regardless of suspension position and even without tie rods hooked up the rack travels a maximum of 6.375".

RCKM-02_AT.jpg

Attachments

• RCKM-02_AT.jpg
    RCKM-02_AT.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 115
Psydwaze said:
Centerlink travel of the TCP rack is limited by internal stops within the rack. The two centerlink studs ride within slots in the rack tube. The visible tube between the two rubber boots is a dust cover and moves with the centerlink. Regardless of suspension position and even without tie rods hooked up the rack travels a maximum of 6.375".

I take this to mean the TCP stops are non-adjustable? If so, the only way to increase lock (travel) is to shorten the tierod mounting arm on the spindle. Easier said than done, and the side effect is less mechanical advantage.