radiator fan blows hot asss air

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
If the air blowin from fan is hot all the time wats that mean?? Time for a new radiator?! I just flushed it and the problem didn't change.. Car keeps overheatin.. Changed thermostat.. Still didn't help

• Sponsors (?)

Check the fan clutch. When the car is hot or reaches its normal operating temperature, the fan should not spin very easy by hand. When the car gets hot, your fan clutch tightens up and causes the fan to spin faster. When it is cold, it spins slower. Ussually when the fan clutch goes, there is grease/oil coming from it.

Did you intall the thermostat the correct way? Just checking...

Tim

Based on the title, it sounds like you should not park behind whatever it is you park behind. :D

Tim is right on. FWIW, the radiator is supposed to reject heat - I would hope the fan, which pulls air through the coil, is displacing hot air. That is what it is supposed to do.

You are using a real gauge? what temps is it showing? what is the radiator and fan set-up (year and make/model would help too)? If the rad cap is not holding pressure, that lowers the effective boiling point in the system. Lots of stuff. Need more info.

Good luck.

:owned: but.... http://www.fuel:taco:.net/forum/images/smiles/fart.gif

http://www.fuel:taco:.net/forum/images/smiles/woot.gif http://www.fuel:taco:.net/forum/images/smiles/893nana.gif
icon_headbang.gif

I'm assuming you're talking about your 4-banger, we still need more info.

Does the car only overheat while idling, or while at speed, or both? Does it heat up right away or take forever to get to operating temperature? I assume that since you say there is "hot asss" air coming from the fan, that the electric fan is working for the most part, but have you looked at the actual blades of the fan to see if maybe one of them broke off or something?

My car is blowing extremely hot air onto my motor from my new aluminum radiator and electric fan. I used to be able to run it for as long as I wanted and lift the hood and touch the upper intake for as long as I wanted because of the spacer I installed. Now with this big electric fan the heat is blowing all inside the engine bay and making even the fenders HOT. I'm thinking about trying to route the hot air out of the engine compartment, any ideas? Oh, and this may sound stupid, but the fan rarely runs when I'm moving what about pushing the air out the front of the car? Sounds ridiculous, but I think I might have my cool engine back.

sswilhelm said:
My car is blowing extremely hot air onto my motor from my new aluminum radiator and electric fan. I used to be able to run it for as long as I wanted and lift the hood and touch the upper intake for as long as I wanted because of the spacer I installed. Now with this big electric fan the heat is blowing all inside the engine bay and making even the fenders HOT. I'm thinking about trying to route the hot air out of the engine compartment, any ideas? Oh, and this may sound stupid, but the fan rarely runs when I'm moving what about pushing the air out the front of the car? Sounds ridiculous, but I think I might have my cool engine back.
That is how the fan works. the extra heat hitting the outside of the motor (cooling-fan exhaust, if you will) means the fan is working (the air from my fan burns my eyes it is so hot).

You would not want to do the pusher thing. If you did, you would want to have a puter use the VSS to reverse the fan rotation once you reach a certain threshold speed, or the air would not be pushed forward, nor backward (incoming air through the coil and air from the fan would meet head to head). a manufacturer tried this and it did NOT work well. :)

Yes, my aluminum radiator and electric fan are working extremely well. At first I was very pleased to feel that much heat coming from the fan. But my car has been off for 3 hours now and the intake is still too warm to really touch it for long. The car is running fine and not overheating, but to have the intake that hot is robbing horsepower that I wanted to gain with the electric fan. Maybe I'm using too large of a fan. (You can feel it blowing on your leg while sitting in the drivers seat)

You running long tubes? My engine bay gets pretty hot, but the only way you will tell how hot the external parts (intake) of the engine are is to use a digital heat gun or something similar. I don't have any experience with electric fans, so I can't help you there.

Tim

The way I see it: if the motor was not needing to dissipate a good bit of heat, the radiator would not be rejecting much heat (which you feel in your engine bay and on your leg [I hope you mean with the door open and your leg outside the car - mustangs dont melt shoes to gas pedals like Brit-snake cars]). :)

So it sounds like (with summer here in some parts of the country) your radiator and fan are doing what they should - rejecting a ton of heat. What are the options? Install a lesser fan, and perhaps have the motor run hotter?

I was trying to think if you could fab a way to not have heat sucked into the bay. Short of bulkheading in front of the radiator fan (which might end up just bottlenecking all the heat), i dont see many options. :shrug:

Good luck. :nice:

stang22 said:
You running long tubes? My engine bay gets pretty hot, but the only way you will tell how hot the external parts (intake) of the engine are is to use a digital heat gun or something similar. I don't have any experience with electric fans, so I can't help you there.

Tim
Wait, you drive your stang? :p

Yes, the door open and sitting in the driveway.... I just put on ceramic shorty headers because I thought that would help the heat situation but it didn't. The fan blows the hot air directly on the CSI water pump and wow was it hot. I bet it won't last long with that kind of heat. And the alternator doesn't need that kind of heat either. I've pretty much ruled out blowing out the front and I'm leaning toward fabricating something to force the air down or to the side. My engine was always cool with the stock fan so the heat must have stayed in the radiator/motor before. The bad part is that I used to laugh at everyone using Ice on the intake and now I'll be forced to do it too.

I want to start off by saying this thread is asinine. With that in mind, the only idea I could come up with (and consequently the most ridiculous idea I could come up with.. which matches the ridiculousness of this thread,) is.. to get a piece of sheet metal, and bolt it to the top of the radiator support, then have it sort of curve down to just in front of the pulleys. Maybe that would direct some of that hot air downward instead of directly onto your engine.