Radio controls on the steering wheel????

• Sponsors (?)

I drove a Thunderbird with the radio controls on the steering wheel and I must say it was kind of nice especially while cruising down the highway. However, NewPony'05 you do make a good point and I haven't had it in my 2004 GT, so I guess I can live without it on the 2005.

First Post!

My dad went into the dealer to put a $500 deposit down on a red GT with the shaker 500 system on it. When I spoke with the guy that buys the cars for that dealership on the phone he did say that he believes there will be adjustments on the steering wheel. He mentioned this without me even asking about controls on the wheel. Looking at the pictures tho, like this one:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/BlackV-6-5.jpg

I am not sure how they would fit the buttons in with the cruise control features?

car dealerships hardly know any more then what we do... probably less. As of right now, no one has any good idea of what's coming they could surprise us all and make the 05 the new Pinto muhahahaha :rlaugh: but seriously, don't think the dealers know anything more then we do about the 05 stang as of right now. :rolleyes:

My Mazda 6 has audio controls on the steering wheel. At first I didn't use them because I was in the habit of reaching for the center stack. But in time I started using the wheel controls more and more. It's nice and convenient but it wouldn't be a criteria for purchasing a Mustang (or any other car for that matter).

The Mustang will not have audio controls on the steering wheel. The ironic thing is that the deck has a "Control In" port on it. Looks similar to a parallel port on a PC, but smaller. This port is exactly for that reason. Probably because Ford uses the same components on many vehicle and this radio must be in another Ford/Mercury vehicle with controls on the wheel. I would presume that an aftermarket wheel will have radio controls on it, but Ford is not offering it standard or as an option on the Stang.

My wife has a 04 mazda 3 with the controls on the wheel. I love the mute feature. Really great when my son in the back seat has something to say. Further she has in the past driven Acuras and they all have steering wheel mount stereo controls. Very easy to get used to and takes one's eyes off the road for less time, good safety feature. It certainly wouldn't influence my decision to BUY one (or not). But it would be a nice little bonus if they add it when I do buy one. Ford is trying to make an interior that mustang guys can be proud of FINALLY. Be a shame to miss this. Maybe by 06 or on special additions.

Anybody who would poo poo the prospect of steering-wheel-mounted controls obviously has never spent time in a car that has them. They're great, especially if you're tall where your seat is adjusted all the way back and it's a reach to get to the dash. Lazy? Absolutely. But think about the time you spend in your car. Would you rather save money and sit on a milk crate?? Luxury that doesn't cost much, doesn't weigh much, and doesn't get in the way of the sporting fun or personality of the car, is always welcome in my book. It would be cheap to do, and I'd imagine that it comes on board in a couple years after the initial development and production costs of the car start to amortize, allowing them to toss some more upgrades and enhancements into the mix.