Radio fuse keeps blowing. Ideas?

c24sc

Jan 1, 2008
Hey guys.

Ok. My aftermarket cd player (in glove box) that came with the 66 keeps popping its inline fuse. Its wired to constant 12V and to the Ignition (from starter solenoid) for key power source.

Not sure what caused this to happen, but put in the new engine to gauge feed harness, and that didnt change anything. Was hoping for a short in that harness.

Other then pulling the cd player out and testing it by itself, how can i determine if their is a short somewhere in that harness. It looks pretty good under the dash.

Thanks.
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

You can check your wires with a multi meter to see if the wiring to the CD player is faulty. Just unplug the CD player, replace your fuse, turn on the key and then start checking wires. If your fuse blows with the CD player out then you know it's wiring and not the player.

A continuity test to ground on each wire will let you know if and where you have a "short".

You can check your wires with a multi meter to see if the wiring to the CD player is faulty. Just unplug the CD player, replace your fuse, turn on the key and then start checking wires. If your fuse blows with the CD player out then you know it's wiring and not the player.

A continuity test to ground on each wire will let you know if and where you have a "short".

i get battery voltage (11.8 car hasnt been running for about 4 minths now). i unplugged cd player and grounded the fused wire from the cd player plug harness. didn't blow the fuse. tested this a few times and doesnt blow fuse at all. only blows fuse if i ground the fuse holder (zero resistance ). I tested cd player with continuity, and the constant + and grd pins beep. Not sure if its suppose to ground out normally. I also tested the resistance thru the cd player and its virtually nothing. but the resistance thru my test light is .0025 and it didnt blow the fuse.

leaning towards a faulty cd player. specially since i didnt touch any wiring anyhere else. come to think of it, i accidentlly crossed the + and - cables the last time i went to start car. go in and it didn't turn over and realized what i did. just cant remember if i turned radio on when i started it up.

nate