Ran Kid Over

Well not quite.

When i was exiting my School I Bumped a kid on a bike. I was looking to the left waiting for an opertunity to move forward (slowly moving, foot halfway off the break) when all of the sudden *screech or boom.. something...* theres a kid on the ground next to a bike with another kid on a bike behind him. I get out of the car and this cocky kid is screaming at me. I told him and his friend to move over to the parking lot so we can check the damage. (They told me they are both 13) Anyway, his wheel was bent, he had a scratch on his arm (he said i ran over it?::eek: ), Trying to get me to spit out money fast he quickly noted that his bike was custom and i owed him $500.. :bs: . Then his frend showed me a gash on his foot, Which, Judgeing by the dead skin flap overhanging the gash would have it seem to be a week old, and he never even fell. I ignored that and he gave me his number and i drove them home.

2 hours later I called them to make sure everyone is fine. The one kid tells me that his friends arm is broken (they apperently went to the emergency room, but he is now sitting in the comfort of his own home whichout any surgery done.) Also he quickly added his friends back also hurts and he, himself needs to get stitches for his toe (which as i commented before, dident look recent)
Now they wanted $900 i said that i wouldent be able to pay that off at once. Then he quickly said, " Would you like for me to follow a police report?" i respond "no, il call you back".

So now i know these kids are just trying to make money off of me, No signs of recent Damage on these kids, I decided to let my dad who is a Lawyer handle it. We reviewed everything and called them back, telling them to have their father call us back. He once again quickly commented that his dad is a police officer:bs: (seeing any connections?). My dad says oh well, have him call me.

2 Minutes later the kids calls back and apperently talked to his dad and mom. Aperently his dad wanted his mom to file a police report but his mom wanted us to just give them money and forget about it. My dad told them not to call back again until a parent is on the phone. Its been nearly 3 hours and they still havent called.:nono:

I was defentally willing to pay for all damages and i also realize that this was my fault. But i do not respect liars, who are trying to cheat me and make money off of me by bribary. If they want their money im sure i can pay off $80 bucks the legal way. No fake broken arms, old wounds, fake Cop dadies, Or 13-yearolds bribing me (this is actully common amoung arab americans in my area) so they can get some money. Its funny how they never got their parents into it yet. I doubt they will. Until then i have a front bumper to touch up on...:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Oh man I feel bad for you, too many people get screwed over in similar situations. Best of luck to you, they definitely sound like they are trying to put one over on you. Now that I think about it...maybe you didn't even *really* hit them...they easily could have intentionally got in front of your vehicle. Ugh :(

Wait you were looking left and rolling slowly and you hit the kids in the cross walk??? It doesnt actually sound like you hit the kids at all it sounds more like they ran into you. Were you in a line of cars or making a left turn or what? What side of the car did you hit them on?

I wouldn't worry about it. We were moving across states in a big uhaul truck, ended up stopping at the wrong motel, truck got stuck on a ramp ( i wasn't driving.) Four hours later, after calling a tow truck to get us down the ramp, we discovered there was no exit except to go back up the ramp. So we made it up, police were called in the morning when the motel owner woke up.

Cops came by, there was this crazy arab guy yelling at the cops about us scratching his ramp and having to move a basketball hoop (fill bottom with water) to get out.

Wow, Yeah. The cops told that guy to shut the hell up, and just waved us off. This was in Missouri though... so... your mileage may vary.

I'd wait on a call from an adult, plus there hasn't been a police report yet.. probably won't be. I second the guy that says the kids ran into you on purpose.

I got hit by a dork in a lowrider S10 once...he ran a red light as i was crossing and nailed me in the hip...i flew up on his hood and he hit the brakes and i slid off and landed right on my feet..kinda shocked. He looked at me, i looked at him, he floored the gas and took off. I wasn't even angry really, just relieved that i wasn't hurt. He was obviously scared to death.

Yeah. i woulda totally ran away if they werent stuck under the car.. and they figured what school i go to. NAH.. im really a nice person.

Maybe they will call 2morro. After my dad asked when his dad gets out of his "Police work" he hesitated and said "after 1 A.M." While it is possilbe (i dont know police shifts), It just seemed like he dident want him into it. I doubt they will call back. I feel bad about the wheel but hey, what am i suppose to do? My dads a real strict lawyer that makes sure they take action first. Oh well. Im not gonna drive to school for a while and lay low. LOL. Just dont want any eggings or such.

Should have not talked to the kids at all beside, asking the one with the fubbard bike for his parent's phone number. I think the most should be to pay get his bike fixed and whatever the hospital bill is for putting a bandaid on an arm? Accidents happen, it's not like you were all "fast and furious" trying to stop a 53 foot truck and the kids got in the way.

You should have immediately filed a police report. The kid would the scab would have been eliminated by the cops immediately and the kid with the "broken arm" may have had a different story. Don't pay a dime to them, you're only going to get yourself in deeper. If his arm really is broken, it'll be more than $900, but it sounds like they're two 13-year-old scamsters. If it comes down to fixing the bike, get a receipt for the repairs and pay for them. A big issue with not getting the police involved immediately after ANY form of accident is that WHEN you get sued, not IF, WHEN, instead of having a police report, all you have now is your word against that of the two kids involved, and you may have a bigger problem in the end. At least your pop is a lawyer and maybe that will intimidate the other parents into not filing a bogus or inflated claim against you. Good luck.

I agree that you should have called the police, on the spot. But it does also sound like you are being scammed. If the parents really thought they had a credible case, they would have called the police. The fact they want to handle things below board kind of reinforces the scam theory.

Were the kids on the sidewalk or in a crosswalk? Many municipalities have laws against bikes on the sidewalk. If they were on a sidewalk or in a crosswalk while riding their bikes, that could be the technicality that gets you off the hook. Bicycles are considered vehicles of the road, and riders are not afforded the same protections as pedestrians.

The thing to remember after an accident is NEVER ADMIT FAULT, even if you think it was your fault.

I was about to mention the same thing. In our area bikes are considered vehicles and belong on the road. Is there any helmet laws for minors in your area? Where they wearing helmets? That is another thing to take into consideration too if he comes back with some head/neck injury.
Kevin

I agree that you should have called the police, on the spot. But it does also sound like you are being scammed. If the parents really thought they had a credible case, they would have called the police. The fact they want to handle things below board kind of reinforces the scam theory.

Were the kids on the sidewalk or in a crosswalk? Many municipalities have laws against bikes on the sidewalk. If they were on a sidewalk or in a crosswalk while riding their bikes, that could be the technicality that gets you off the hook. Bicycles are considered vehicles of the road, and riders are not afforded the same protections as pedestrians.

The thing to remember after an accident is NEVER ADMIT FAULT, even if you think it was your fault.

Well no one has called back. They were coming from the sidewalk onto the crosswalk.

I still think they are afraid to call back because my dad might have scared them and if they did go to their parents, they would have to admit they lied. Im no doctor but kids who jump back on their feet seconds after the accedent dont have broken arms.

Let this be a lesson, lieing takes you nowhere.:nonono:

his wheel was probably already bent.
i hope he breaks both his arms, and dies.

do not, DO NOT give them a dime
if anything, YOU should get money to fix your car.
if you were only inching up, they could have easily easily avoided you
its nothing but a scam.

Im doubting they will try anything, even if they did want to sue you lawsuites cost money and your dad being a lawyer gives you a leg up. I doubt unless you have seriously hurt them that they will do anything because its just a major hassle and i doubt their parents will even want to deal with it. just my .02 cents