Ranger Header Upgrade

4cylstang931

Sep 12, 2006
Just finished the Ranger Header upgrade this weekend. I paid $30 for it at my local junkyard. I didn't notice much of a difference in HP, but from takeoff it made a noticeable difference in torque. I would recommend the upgrade to anyone who could pick up a Ranger header for around $30.

As far as sound, I can't really tell much difference. I am not trying to make the 2.3 sound like a V8. I plan on doing that by eventually doing the V8 swap with a GT-40 crate motor. Even though I am a V8 guy, the 2.3L is hard to beat. They make awesome daily drivers and are really cheap compared to the V8 versions.

I do have one question. After I changed the header, I got a 332 Code for insufficient EGR flow. I wasn't having this problem with the regular manifold. I checked the Vac. line and couldn't find a leak. Could unbolting the EGR and opening the system caused my EGR to quit working? Or, is the Ranger EGR different? The donor Ranger was a 94.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

I do have one question. After I changed the header, I got a 332 Code for insufficient EGR flow. I wasn't having this problem with the regular manifold. I checked the Vac. line and couldn't find a leak. Could unbolting the EGR and opening the system caused my EGR to quit working? Or, is the Ranger EGR different? The donor Ranger was a 94.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yeah... seems to me that a system that's broken open would tend not to work... :stick:

To make the code go away, you make a custom tube for the EGR. I would suggest either taking off the vacume line to the EGR (and plugging the line), OR completely remove it and fab a block off plate for the flange on the intake manifold. The first one is pretty easy. It will throw a code, but it won't be trying to open the EGR, resulting in sucking in unfiltered and unmetered air.

Sorry I wasn't verry clear. I installed the EGR tube from the donor Ranger so the system isn't open. There are no exhaust leaks that I can find.:shrug:

Really? I thought I remembered looking at the ranger tube, and deciding it was in the wrong location for me. Then again, now that I think about it the 91-93 stang got the same intake as the rangers with the tube header. Obviously, that tube wouldn't fit me 88.

Hmm, as far as reason: Did you check to see if the EGR tube was clogged by blowing in one end or sticking something threw it? You didn't accidently pull off any vacume tubes or connections? Those 2 seem like the most likely in my mind, as your setup should work fine since you have a 91-93.

I used a coat hanger and brake parts cleaner to clean the EGR tube really good. I have also checked the vaccuum lines and cannot find a leak. I didn't pull the EGR valve all the way off, I just loosened it and tightened it back down. I think I am going to try to take it all the way off, clean it, and replace the gasket with a new one. Hope that works.:bang:

FIXED!!!

Problem fixed. The vacuum lines at the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid were brittle and had cracked ( I guess it happened when I pulled the old manifold out). Patched it with some rubber vacuum line I had and everything works fine.

I'm looking at putting a Ranger header on my Capri in the near future. Is it really worth it or would it be a waste. The cast manifold that's on there looks like it would be much more restrictive than the header. The only issue I will run into is the EGR tube placement. It is at a slightly different angle, so I will have to somehow bend the EGR tube (won't take much) to meet it properly. I plan on doing new converterless exhaust from the end of the header to the muffler then. Would I see a little bit of an increase in power?

A lot of people just use the Ranger EGR tube and their exsisting 2.3L EGR tube to fabricate a new one. If you are a good welder you may want to try that. As far as power gains, you won't notice much. The header seamed to add a little more low end torque when I installed it, but I also have the 93 engine which generated more HP and torque. For the little bit of money that it costs to do the upgrade I think it is worth it.

I'm looking at putting a Ranger header on my Capri in the near future. Is it really worth it or would it be a waste. The cast manifold that's on there looks like it would be much more restrictive than the header. The only issue I will run into is the EGR tube placement. It is at a slightly different angle, so I will have to somehow bend the EGR tube (won't take much) to meet it properly. I plan on doing new converterless exhaust from the end of the header to the muffler then. Would I see a little bit of an increase in power?

At the n/a 2.3L hp level, the operative word is "little." You're going to see very, very small gains from a shorty tubular manifold.