Ranger Roller vs. A237

Just looking for some opinions here from you guys. I'm still learning about this kind of thing and I'd just like a little info and recommendations from you guys. Here are the questions that I have to ask.

- Which of these two cams will give more power?
- I know that if I put in a Ranger roller cam & followers that I will not have to make any adjustments to the block. If I choose to put in an A237, will I have to touch the block, or can it just go in the head and that is that?
- Which of the two will give me a more lopey sounding idle?

You see, one of the projects I am doing this summer is to take a stock 2.3 cylinder head and get some things done to it, (milled, port & polish, new cam & followers) and I am trying to figure out exactly which set up will be the most effective. Therefore, any answers to these questions would help out a lot, and any other comments on the comparison of the two cams are welcomed as well. Thanks in advance for your time and input.

• Sponsors (?)

The A237 would make more power. The Ranger cam is exactly that: a cam from a Ranger 2.3 engine. It's made more for torque. Neither of them will have a lopey idle. The 237 should just drop right in, no mod necessary, but it would be good to get a second opinion from someone who has done the swap (bhuff30).

a-237 from ford last i heard was 211$ i picked up my ranger cam+roller followers (wich you will need either cam u pick) for less than 50$ at the jy...if your going to buy a ranger roller online,look for a good deal...dont let evil bay trick you into paying 100+$ for it!

cam

Im using the a234 cam its a slider cam with the close spec of the a237 .It dose have a lope at an idle in my 86 svo,little doggy on take off but has a lot of midrange power. Still can buy it from ford $125.00

Ray III said:
I paid $105 for my ranger cam on evilbay :(

Why does it not make more top end power? When I compared the two cams, they have the same lift but the roller cam has longer duration. I would think that tends to deliver more power at higher RPM. (I haven't got this thing assembled so that's why I'm asking)

Everyone debates about this, the say "stock for stock the ranger cam makes more low end torque, but petter's out at about 5k" though they are very similar, everyone has there own "seat of the pants dyno meter". On the bright side, the ranger cam with an adjustable cam sprocket retarded 4 degrees i have heard makes the rangercam breathe from top to bottom...just depends on how you want to spend your money truthfully. The A237 is the more performance oriented cam, but for the price the roller ranger really cant be beat (for a roller setup, mind you get a good deal aswell)