Rare cases of engine stall, anyone experience similar?

IrocTD

Aug 7, 2006
This is only the second time it has happened to me since I bought my 2006 GT. It is kinda scary cause the engine dies and the steering goes to manual, quite hard to turn. Worried i'll end up in the curve of the road and put the car in a ditch or up a berm :(

So I was heading to work this morning going around 55-60 in 5th gear and the light up ahead turns red so I push the clutch in to let it coast for a bit. I wasn't paying attention exactly how close I was or when I started braking but I was slowing down and close enough that when it stalled and started drifting left that I let it coast into the turn lane, stopped and restarted her.

Basically the first time it stalled it did the exact same thing before and in the same exact place. But most of my time is spent driving that road back and forth to work 5 days a week anyway.

I noticed after that event that when I push the clutch in the RPMs drop steadily down to about the 500-1000 zone before leveling out at 1000. Maybe its just a fluke that it dropped below 500 RPM and could not recover?? Still, should not happen ever in my opinion.

Only mod I have is a Brenspeed cold air kit with a tune.

Anyone experience a similar situation?

I'm thinking of putting the tune back to stock with stock air cleaner and giving it to ford to take a look but it is so rare I have low expectations that they will know what to look for let alone know what i'm talking about...

• Sponsors (?)

I've never experienced this, but I've only had my 08 for 5 months (!!! I can't believe its been that long already). Bringing it to the dealer is an effort in futility though because they will want to replicate it or at least get an error code.

I have heard about similar situations caused by strong radio frequency signals fouling up the car's computer. You say that it happened before in the exact same place, but it never happened anywhere else.

By any chance, are you near some government installation that could be emitting such a signal? Or a commercial high-power transmitter?

Just a thought.

I have heard about similar situations caused by strong radio frequency signals fouling up the car's computer. You say that it happened before in the exact same place, but it never happened anywhere else.

By any chance, are you near some government installation that could be emitting such a signal? Or a commercial high-power transmitter?

Just a thought.

Ya, its practically a stone throw from the east coast's largest naval air station Oceana. Both times happened in the morning on the ride into work.

BTW, thx for the replies :)

With the additional information you provided, I would guess even more strongly that it is RF getting into the car's computer.

You could live with it, or try shielding the computer and related wiring, etc. You might check with a dealer (preferably one who sells lots of police vehicles) to see if there is a fix they might know about. If no luck there, you could see if Ford engineering has a fix. Something like this can be a bear, because it happens rarely. It's not too likely that the government is going to give you any details as to what they are doing at what specific times!

Good luck.

Check for air leaks in the intake.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of RF interference but, I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that the inlet elbow of my CAI (C&L racer) had started to come loose at the throttle body end. Shortly after it stalled the first time, it threw a TOO LEAN code. Once I reinstalled the elbow and and cleared the codes the car ran fine.

It was my fault because I had just barely tightened it up. I was very gentle with the clamp because I distorted the hell out of the FIRST elbow by over tightening the clamp. The engine heat softened the plastic and my over-enthusiastic tightening of the clamp squashed into a B shape on the bottom. ALL of the above was my fault but I was told when I ordered the new one, to put the clamp screws on the SIDE of the elbow and not the bottom where I did put them.(thought it looked cool not to have any of the screws showin', LOL)