Rattle or vibration sound

Wayne K

Aug 21, 2009
Had my new Mustang GT 5spd. for a couple weeks. It has 300+ miles on it. I noticed when I first got it that when the rpm's reach around 3000 when accelerating (median or light, doesn't matter) in any gear there is a rattle or vibration sound like a bad bearing or something it the tranny or its linkage. I stopped at the dealer yesterday and drove another new GT and it did the same thing but didn't seem quite as loud. If I'm driving at 3000 rpm and hold it (2nd or 3rd) the sound continues until I lift on the gas and when I get back on the gas it is back. Anyone else here notice the same thing and/or know what the cause might be ?

• Sponsors (?)

After reading some posts with regards to the sound tube thing I'm wondering if it is picking up a mechanical sound at that rpm when there is load on the motor or a resonace from the exhaust. When I put the car in neutral and run the engine up to 3K I didn't hear it. It is more of a sound than something you feel. I can't imagine others haven't noticed this. Like I said in my post I drove another GT 5spd and it did the same but thought it wasn't quite as loud. Where in the engine bay does that tube opening reside?

I haven't heard anything like you're describing but I'll pay attention to see if I do the next time I take her out for a drive. As for the location of the tube that's pretty easy, it's just a little black tube right after the air box that goes back to the firewall.

Can't say I heard anything, other than the duet of beautiful noises coming from my mufflers and my sound tube thingy lol. I don't remember my 05 doing that either so I wouldn't think it's normal but if other people are hearing it maybe it's just one of those things? :shrug:

I'm not hearing anything either in my 5-speed. Try disconnecting the sound tube and see if that helps. It simply plugs into the intake track by the filter.

I'm on vacation this week but when I get back I will give that a try. It is not a metallic kind of a noise like two things hitting together. It sounds more like a bad engine bearing kind of sound.

I have the same problem, but it only started after I installed exhaust upgrades. I had a buddy crawl into the trunk with the seats down and found that the drivers side strut that holds the trunk lid up when open is rattling. The passenger side strut is tight, but the drivers side can be twisted left to right and makes a sharp rattle against the unit body. Its louder than you think inside and out and I can hear it over my straight pipes.

I have the same problem, but it only started after I installed exhaust upgrades. I had a buddy crawl into the trunk with the seats down and found that the drivers side strut that holds the trunk lid up when open is rattling. The passenger side strut is tight, but the drivers side can be twisted left to right and makes a sharp rattle against the unit body. Its louder than you think inside and out and I can hear it over my straight pipes.

wow, good find. hopefully yours is a one-off issue. But its good that you addressed it.

The noise I'm hearing is definately engine or transmission related and I can make it come and go in any gear around 3000rpm by lifting and stepping on the gas. It is a bad rod bearing type of sound but I'm sure that it isn't that. I also heard the same sound in another new GT under the same conditions.