Rattling noise on deceleration

Hey guys I have a 95 cobra 5 speed and about a week ago I started noticing a rattling sound coming from the front of the car on deceleration while it gear, it sounds like something loose spinning around. I jacked it up and checked the driveshaft and wheel bearings/such, any idea what it could be?

• Sponsors (?)

The list of things to check could be endless, I would grab a rubber mallet and start with the exhaust, the stock cats can start rattling, the heat shields become loose. Bang around on the suspension, wheels stuff like that. Check sway bar bushings. Clutch fork can get to rattling too. Go under the hood and Bang around the brackets and wiggle the pullies.

Sorry I wasn’t the most descriptive, I recently put a new exhaust on and double checked it and it all checked out, the noise only happens when I’m decelerating in gear, when pushing the clutch in or coasting I’m neutral the noise goes away. It really sounds like it’s coming from the engine/tranny so it could be the clutch fork or throw out but you would think then it would make the noise when pressing the clutch I also checked wheel bearings/suspension and it seemed good

Jack up the car at the back end. Grab the tail pipe and shake it as much as you can to see if it is hitting anywhere. It's usually hitting between one of the tail pipes and the upper control arm for the axle.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Had similar problem with other cars when the catalytic converter core inside the metal shell loosens up and starts rattling around. Try hitting it with a rubber mallet and listening for the rattle.

When leaving it in gear while decelerating cars often have slight backfire through exhaust.
Pushing in clutch will prevent the backfires so the core will not rattle around.

My understanding is this car is not supposed to have play between the clutch fork, bearing and pressure plate fingers. Has something to do with the cable linkage design. Mine is set this way. I can see how this accelerates bearing wear.
Every other car I had was not a cable and it was supposed to have play.

Had similar problem with other cars when the catalytic converter core inside the metal shell loosens up and starts rattling around. Try hitting it with a rubber mallet and listening for the rattle.

When leaving it in gear while decelerating cars often have slight backfire through exhaust.
Pushing in clutch will prevent the backfires so the core will not rattle around.

My understanding is this car is not supposed to have play between the clutch fork, bearing and pressure plate fingers. Has something to do with the cable linkage design. Mine is set this way. I can see how this accelerates bearing wear.
Every other car I had was not a cable and it was supposed to have play.
This may be it, I just put cats in for emissions and I’ll have to check them out, the clutch fork seems fine.