Read me: An idea for a good sticky.

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
So I was thinking today, as I'm sure a lot of you have thought at some point or another, we get a LOT of repetitive questions around here. What gears should I run? Is this TB too big? What happens if I remove my quad shocks? Bla, bla, bla.

SO then it dawned on me... Why don't we have a sticky that is dedicated to these really common questions? We could call it... Wait for it... "THE REALLY COMMON QUESTIONS STICKY".

It would be structured like the "Sticky of Stickies", in which there would be one main thread, but it would contain links to individual threads that are each dedicated to a certain "common question" topic.

Not only would this be useful, and we could blast n00bs who ask these questions without looking in there first, but I think it would also be fun to develop some of the individual "common questions" threads. We could even include links to some threads that already exist, such as the 4 to 5 lug conversion thread in Tech that seems to get ignored so frequently. I think for this to really work, the individual threads should either be created from scratch or only re-used if they SPECIFICALLY cover the certain topic. In other words, we should avoid linking to threads that maybe started as asking a few different questions and then eventually narrowed down to one topic. In that event, we should just create a new thread that specifically covers the question at hand and nothing else.

With that said, here are a few common questions that I think need covered:

TB/EGR size
MAF size
Determining existing gear ratio/ deciding on a gear ratio
T5 strength
Block strength
Rear end strength
Brake swap and 4-5 lug conversion
HP vs Injector size/matching with MAF meter
Wheel/tire width
GT40 intake differences
GT40 head types/swap needs

Etc, etc. Lets hear some other ideas for common questions!

Mods, is this something we can do, or am I asking too much? is it a redundant effort? Should we just keep hitting n00bs with the :search: ?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, notice it is now in the stickies at the top, and as yet, under construction. If you guys want to check it out and post links to threads as suggestions for some of topics, please do. I was hoping this would turn into a community effort.

Also, I thought I'd note at this point, that the treads we link to should come exclusively from this site- not threads from other sites.

We definitely need a "New Fox Owner's Guide". There's one on the Merkur forum i used to go to and it was VERY helpful when i first bought my car. It had everything in it from common problems, how to spot them when looking to buy, what parts are prone to failure and even part numbers to replace them with, how to fix things like surging idle and bump timing...all those noob things we've all asked at some point when we first got our 5.0. I'm sure one of you long winded know-it-alls would have a field day writing up a big brain article like that :lol:

You could call it:

FOX FAQs! (answers to the common questions)

(insert insideious music here)

I thought about using "FAQ", but I think by default, people ignore things whenever they see the acronym FAQ. Not sure why that is, because it is really the first place they should look. Also, ironically enough, "look here first" threads get ignored, too, haha. So I spelled it out for them.