Ready for sandblasting!

65stanger

big blue fuzzy closet monster
Founding Member
That's right folks! I finished welding and grinding (for now) on sally's front end..........and she's prepped and ready for me to sandblast her front clip!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

After which I will make whatever other repairs I need to, then prep and POR15!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm hoping to pick up the sandblaster from my buddy in the next day or two, and away we go........................................
:spot: :spot: :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

Couple of tips here in case you never did that much blasting before.
1. Make sure your air source has good water filters.
2. Ensure the compressor can handle the volume of air required.
3. Play sand works great
4. Wear a hat, gloves, and goggles.
5. Sand gets into everything! Seal up anything you don't want it into.
6. As soon as you finish wash it down with a solvent (I use laquer thinner).
7. Coat it before it can rust!

Good Luck!

:banana:

great advice from "realmongo" but you need to add something to the list
"WEAR A RESPIRATOR", A GOOD ONE. I have a close friend that has some serious lung problems attributed to sand blasting. according to his doctor, when the grain of "playsand" hits the material at supersonic speed, it bursts into a cloud of very toxic dust.. very hazardous to lungs.
what little sandblasting I've done, I can validate the dust that rises all around and is inhaled. just a heads up

outlaw

Silica poisioning is very dangerous. And most respirators don't filter fine enough to remove all silica particals.

Workers Compensation requires all sandblasting shops to have fresh air piped right into workers masks.

However, I understand silica poisioning is usually only a problem for people who sandblast on a regular basis..and not just the guy who averages an hour a week in the garage.

Definately get a good respirator or mask of some sort.

yup----got all the good PPE I need, including a one piece Tyvek suit w/ hood and booties, respirator, goggles AND full face shield.........

I'm also loosening up the 40+ years of paint and goop.....I've slathered on a couple of good layers of "Zip-Strip". Tomorrow is my day off, so I'm going over to my buddy's to pick up the sand blaster, and hopefully Amway will have received their sand delivery..........:nice:

Also a quick tip for quicker clean up is to lay a couple Nylon tarps all around the area prior to blasting. This will allow quicker cleanup of the sand and keep it out of your gravel driveway.

Also go to a kitchen gaget store and buy a medium fine strainers (depending on the size of your blating material & usually costs $3-$5) and buy one of those orange 5 gallon buckets at home depot. Always strain your media prior to reusing it, this will keep the nozzle from getting clogged with debris.

oboebrian said:
Also a quick tip for quicker clean up is to lay a couple Nylon tarps all around the area prior to blasting. This will allow quicker cleanup of the sand and keep it out of your gravel driveway.

Also go to a kitchen gaget store and buy a medium fine strainers (depending on the size of your blating material & usually costs $3-$5) and buy one of those orange 5 gallon buckets at home depot. Always strain your media prior to reusing it, this will keep the nozzle from getting clogged with debris.
Thanks dawg, but I'm ahead of you on that score too......I picked up a roll (~$6) of aluminum replacement screening and have a couple of old 5-gal spackle buckets already on hand!
Picked up the sand yesterday....only problem is the place I got it had it stored outside, so of course the sand is wet.:notnice: I've got it in my basement drying out now as we speak........................

Be gentle and don't warp anything. I've only used a gravity feed hopper to blast a firewall on a '67 Fairlane. It went thru a 5 gallon bucket in nothing flat it seemed for what it did. My suggestion is to not try and concentrate in one spot, move all over about a 1'x1' area. We swept up and screened the sand several times. I think we were able to run about 8 batches thru the hopper before it got too dark to see good. I was basically able to get around the drivers side of the firewall pretty decent, probably a 1/3 of the panel and only went down to where the floor started to slope back. It really made me appreciate the few hundred dollars you can get a whole car done for, it's messy freaking work. I know a guy that builds custom cars and he said he has a guy that can strip a car inside and out for about $350-$400, I think that's the route I'll end up going.

More praise for POR15!

I'm working on sandblasting my front clip (well, sally's front clip....) and there are a few areas that have POR15 on them. On sections of the subframe where I had followed their directions regarding prep and application, the POR15 isn't showing any sign of letting go! The edges of these areas are a little "feathered", but the POR15 is hanging tight, no worse for wear! :hail2:
On those areas I was just slapping it on, wiping excess off the brushes, the POR15 peeled away in sheets!
:banana:

btw....another day or so (weather permitting) I'll have the front clip completely stripped and ready for prepping..................... :nice:

now if I could just download the pics! :nonono: