Roush Ready to buy an 88, but have a few questions...

cradicg

Oct 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hey Guys, I wandered over here from the SVT forum for some help. I am ready to buy a 88 Hatchback off an acquaintance. He is very knowledgeable and I feel comfortable dealing with him. Before handing over the cash, I want to check on a few things....

1. Who is the ULTIMATE authority on verifying an authentic Saleen? Can I just call them and give them the VIN?

2. Is there a "bible" that lists the Saleen specific parts AND shows their locations? I know most of the graphics are period correct, but the previous owner (before my acquaintance) used a few graphics from later year fox bodies.

3. Are there any reputable retailers that carry "restoration parts"? The vehicle is in solid shape, but if I ever needed to replace something I would hate to use standard LX parts or not be able to replace a graphic.

The vehicle is not a 100 point show car, but just needs a little rejuvenating. He also wants a hell of a lot less than that ebay rust bucket you guys slammed earlier.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Hopefully I can join the ranks of another limited Mustang society soon.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a My Saleen Book in front of me right now. What is the number and the vin # and I'll look it up for you. Also you can call Mark at Performance Autosport. He is "VERY" knowledgable and a real nice guy. There are many Parts places I use for Fox Parts. Such as 50resto.com, or Mustangs Unlimited, Foxresto.com. There are tons more. As far as Saleen parts go, it is hard. You must watch Ebay and put the word out in Forums like this for needed parts. Good Luck
Randy

Just call Saleen at Tel: 949-597-4900. Tell them you want to verify that car is an actual Saleen before you purchace it. Give them the VIN and they will verify if for you. They can also tell you what the original interior/exterior color was and any options that car came equipped with. Good luck

All the graphics are available through Mark at www.performanceautosport.com That is where I purchased my replacement graphics. As for Saleen specific body panels, ebay and other forums will be your best bet. The same goes for interior parts. As far as what and where everything is. That won't be too hard to do as there are enough Saleen foxbody owners around that know what and where everything goes. Saleen did change things up during production runs so there isn't a 100% rule of thumb on anything. Saleen will have the specifics of the car once you give them the VIN and they look it up. I've contacted Saleen about their intention to start offering foxbody Saleen parts and I get the same story, "in a month" but that has been going on since back in July of last year so I wouldn't wait on Saleen. Do take some pictures everyone hear enjoys seeing a foxbody Saleen show up. They are getting to be quite a rarity and the draw for them is increasing. Good luck.

More updates and pics

I called Saleen today and they verified the VIN as 1988 #334.

This is how the graphics are as of now. Some of the other pics show the wrong windshield banner and side stripes. The Saleen registry states #334 had the side stripes shipped in the trunk. The owner has his 96 Cobra rims on but the original rims go with the car.

88_334_6.jpg

88_334_1.jpg

88_334_2.jpg

88_334_3.jpg

It does not have the correct seats, but he has located some. This one came with the cruise control upgrade from Saleen.

88_334_4.jpg

88_334_5.jpg

These are the only photos he had available. I will try to snap some Sat. I have verified the build tag on the inner left fender and the dash plaque as well as the bumper number all match.

Opinions?

Attachments

• 88_334_6.jpg
    88_334_6.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 88_334_1.jpg
    88_334_1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 88_334_2.jpg
    88_334_2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 88_334_3.jpg
    88_334_3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 88_334_4.jpg
    88_334_4.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 88_334_5.jpg
    88_334_5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 94
I've seen that car before. That one belonged to someone with the user name "Quik huh" on another site. That is a stock '88 Mustang steering wheel. Hopefully he does have some correct Flofits because those will be hard and costly to replace.
Good Luck, nice looking car.

yeah that is qwikhuh's car. from what i read he found a set of correct flofits, dont know their condition..just something i saw he posted on another forum. That is a nice car at a good deal. He's a nice/honest person from every conversation I ever had with him. I think you'll be very happy with the car.

Ya thats Quickhuh's old car, It's legit we already went through this with him when he bought it, on another site!
Tim's right it's a nice car!! Good find and good luck with it, I'm sure you will really
enjoy it. If you have any questions your at the right place for ansewers

See Ya Bill

i wouldnt mind having that car at all :) for a real good price!
looks clean but i personally wouldnt buy it because its missing key interior parts (unless i was using my car to restore that one). i know it came w/ cruise but its not a Saleen option & every 87-89 LX & GT had that setup - nothing special at all. no FloFits, Momo wheel, gauges are not correct, no shift knob.