Really need some help here

wiskerbizkit

Jul 30, 2010
my girlfriends friend has a 96 mustang. its running very rich, stalls in gear, horrid gas mileage. Its only throwing rich codes here and there for the o2 sensors (which have been replaced) tested the maf (been replaced) problem is when i unplug it the engine runs no different, i unplug the timing plug and it runs no different, like its getting no advance. I checked the maf wiring and it is putting out a signal.

This girl has put a ton of money into this car while people are just throwing parts at it. I just want to get it fixed for her, this thing is running terribly. it went through 1/8th tank of gas idling for 20 minutes in her driveway.

so she had the trans and eec replaced last year. new maf, new o2 sensors. only codes im getting is rich condition left side and right side intermittently. I've checked all the vacuum line and it looks ok. fuel pump is good. it idles like garbage and black smoke. unplugging sensors does nothing. with the maf its like its not getting a reading even though I am getting one with my multimeter and it does change. any help would be greatly appreciated, any search on google just gets me performance stuff. thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

wiskerbizkit:

Welcome to StangNet!

You need to datalog to see what is happening. Putting parts on the car is good for the people selling the parts and doing the work but not so good for your g/f's wallet.

How do you datalog? You need a handheld tuner like an XCal from SCT or a Diablo Predator, or, access to one of them. You don't need to tune the car, just use the handheld to pass the data to a laptop (running a datalogging program like LiveLink). Do you know any local Mustang nuts from whom you could borrow a tuner? The alternate thing is to take it to a reputable Mustang tuner in your area and he can run a datalog or two for you, help to interpret the traces and data, and help to resolve the issue(s).

Without data, you are just shooting in the dark at the problem.

Chris

wiskerbizkit:

Welcome to StangNet!

You need to datalog to see what is happening. Putting parts on the car is good for the people selling the parts and doing the work but not so good for your g/f's wallet.

How do you datalog? You need a handheld tuner like an XCal from SCT or a Diablo Predator, or, access to one of them. You don't need to tune the car, just use the handheld to pass the data to a laptop (running a datalogging program like LiveLink). Do you know any local Mustang nuts from whom you could borrow a tuner? The alternate thing is to take it to a reputable Mustang tuner in your area and he can run a datalog or two for you, help to interpret the traces and data, and help to resolve the issue(s).

Without data, you are just shooting in the dark at the problem.

Chris

+1, as much as I hate to probe wires, you need to confirm that your maf is putting out and recieving the correct voltage. Get your self a Haynes or Chilton guide and a voltage tester if you are into doing replacements your self. Since girlfriend has this cash to throw around a bit, might be worth taking to a dealership when you know you can take back w/warranty.
If I had to guess your engine is not getting enough spark. Start from there. Then ask your self why the engine is not giving the correct gas or burning all of the gas.

Before going any further, please check the fuses. Best to check all of them.

Confirm that the fuel injectors are stock. Is the tune stock? Did the car ever run right with the new/replacement PCM?

Is it possible the replacement PCM has a performance tune from another set up? Might consider having the dealer re-flash the PCM to stock.