Really Weird Problem

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Guys my car suddenly started acting funny. Last night I was driving home, and it looked like my interior lights were dimmer, then my tach wouldn't drop below 1400rpms, it worked fine when it hit 1400 or above, but if it went below the needle just stopped at 1400. Then my CD radio unit started turning on and off, almost like it was blinking ilke it was losing power. I have no idea what has happened but this morning I couldn't start my car at all, and I got weird clicking noises coming from under the dash, and the door locks. The alarm would keep going off if I disconnected the positive termiinal and reconnected it. Now my car won't start at all. No wires have been cut or anything, just sounds really stupid. I took the positive off and am leaving the positive off for 20 hours or so, I have heard that will reset the computer, and am cleaning the terminals since they are corroded pretty badly. What is wrong, is it the battery or what, it is something so stupid it has me really pissed off.

• Sponsors (?)

To reset the computer, disco' the battery and turn on the headlights. Leave them on for 10 seconds and you should be good to go (the headlight draw discharges the capacitors for the KAM).

How were the volts doing? It sounds like a charging issue (alarms start fritzing when the battery is about dead and you crank the motor over). I would charge the battery back up and do some diagnostics.

Just my two cents.

Good luck.

Sounds to me the battery either hasn't been getting charged like it should,the battery died or a cable from the battery came disconnected.In any of these situations though,you were running on the alternator's output alone.Hence the power drops while at idle.Is your alt. stock or aftermarket?

Cleaning that corrosion off the terminals will make a big difference.That is,if the battery can still be salvaged.Wire brush it all off,and don't forget the inside part of the terminal clamp.Hit it with terminal protector afterwards.If you still have problems,have the battery load tested and check the wiring from the alt. to the battery.Suspect the alt. only as a last resort.

I think it is the alternator like you guys have said. I threw the charger onto it, and I could finally shut off the alarm and all the weird clicks stopped. My alarm is back to what it did before too. It used to beep twice when I armed it, little by little it only did one beep. The car came with a hefty sound system and I think that is why I suspect the alt. I put a voltmeter on the battery and it was pulling 7.5 volts so I have it on the charger right now. I was waiting for the alt to die I knew they are crap on these cars. I have only built classics though so I didn't know that having low charge would cause everything to go so far out of whack. With the older cars it will just drive till it dies and not crank over. I thought it was something serious, that is why I was so pissed off. :rlaugh:

Sounds good. Once the battery is totally topped off figuring it out should be easier. It takes all of 5 mins to remove the alt and battery, and then drive time to the parts house to get the battery and alt bench testeed if needed.

Good luck.