Realtime Datalogging Wideband Af Ratio - Anyone Own One?

I am trying to sort out the facts from the sales pitches of all of these datalogging tuner tools.
What I NEED is a wideband sensor, digital readout of the AF ratio, and included software and included hardware to link with an on board laptop to compare RPM / AF Ratio

What I WANT-
Under $500
Ease of software learning ( no geeky software )
Real time datalogging

was looking into PLX M500 and R500 ($$)
As well as the LM-1 which apeared a little more complex.
Rather than buy and try, I ask that anyone who has had experience with the software - chime in and throw in your 2 cents.

Also - I couldnt find out how to adjust to a more rich mixture if I end up finding out my setup is running a little too lean. Would I just have to richen up my disk on my FMU and/or Adjust Fuel pressure at the regulator?

I attempted to post in the form of a reply to another similar post- although I did not get much response. After doing a search I confirmed this is somewhat of an original concern so... ANY INPUT WOULD BE APRECIATED THANKS

I WANT TO SELF TUNE BUT THE DYNO IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER EVERY DAY :damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

BLOWN 5.0 FOX,

I use the LM-1 and it works great. Not complex at all, to me. Just hook it up and push the button and it datalogs without a computer in the car. They even have an RPM probe so it can be a standalone unit and datalog other things or use it with a Tweecer RT with or without a DataQ and a laptop. You just have to have the bung/s for the sensor in your exhaust so it is between 10-2 O'Clock and as far away from the motor as possible but before the cats.

Don

Once you get a wideband, you will wonder how you ever did without! You will use the wideband for the next 20 years... but the dyno tune will only last till you change the setup again.
The LM1 is the best value on the market right now. My friend has one and it works great.
I am running a DIY wideband I built for under 200 total, but I havn't gotten to build anything for datalogging yet. http://www.diy-wb.com/info.htm
And isn't "realtime datalogging" and oxymoron?

I gotta stay on top of this thread. Keep the info comming. I wanna pick up a wideband soon. My bassani longtubes I just bought (used) have an extra bung welded in them :D

I have the PLX-M300 wideband controller with digital LCD display, plus I have the converter to run a standard 0-1v autometer gauge. i am also using windows based software on my laptop to log the voltage, of a few sensors like a/f and fuel pressure etc. all waiting to go in, haven't tried any of it yet, but it's definitely realtime wideband with datalogging capability for under $500.

Sorry I havent maintained my own post- I have a few responses:

Mackey: As far as the dyno goes- I have been searching for a good local reputable place and I think I found one in Marblehead, aparently they do alot of custom turbo tuning. Id believe to properlly tune my car it would be around $300 at the least. With that I would be assured that I have the proper af ratio at all RPMs. On the downside- I could take the risk of buying my own software and attempting to tune it myself. If it doesnt work out I could always resell the unit at a swap meet/ebay/want ads and not take a big loss. Or just keep it for future small mods. I just dont want to throw my money away on some unit that is incomprhendable to me not being a computer geek- and I definetly dont want to spend $500 on un needed software that does not work well with Ford ECUs/wiring.

As for the realtime datalogging comment- I have seen software that datalogs but does not have a display, although the memory can be uploaded to either a spreadsheet or display graph. The only unit I would want would be an interface that reads out the actual AF ratio and RPM so I could use it for comparison to be sure it goes rich and not lean.

I am going to give the place a call possibly tommorrow, "PRIME SPEED'S " although I heard the dyno tuning facility in Marblehead was called precision motoring so I will have to make some calls and find out. There is also a place in Epping I hear, but Id rather stay local and keep the trailer off the highway.
Once I get out of college next week I will have tons more time to finish this up. A few of kids from work are looking for their own 5.0s this weekend actually so this should be a fun summer.

I am using a TwEECer to datalog from my PLX-300. What a winning combination, is all I can say. I love them both, and I constantly use both. Both are very hidden to do to thier small sizes. I intergrated my PLX into my radio panel which I custom made, It's nice and flush, when not in use you wont notice it.

BlackFox5.0 said:
I am using a TwEECer to datalog from my PLX-300. What a winning combination, is all I can say. I love them both, and I constantly use both. Both are very hidden to do to thier small sizes. I intergrated my PLX into my radio panel which I custom made, It's nice and flush, when not in use you wont notice it.

BLACK FOX 5.0:

With your tweecer can you make long term fuel trim adjustments? What unit are you using and what was the cost? The PLX-300 has the digital display of the actual WB signal- correct? I believe that setup is roughly $320. I would love to utilize a tool like that (PLX) , however I am not sure it would be useful to actually tune - more of display/monitor. You successfully tuned your car with a tweecer your saying??? THANKS

Where in Mass are you?

I recently answered a question just like this one for someone else on this board. I run the Innovative LM-1. The data logging is all on board and laptop is not required if you don't have one. With the 9V battery installed, you can data log, unplug it from the car (two small plugs), run it into your desktop, and download and view the logs in real time. The LM-1 is able to run and calibrate itself a number of different WB sensors, so you're not limited to just one brand. Everything you need (including the RPM converter) can be had for about $425 (I think it even came with the 9V battery). There a couple of different ways you can view the logs and that's pretty much up to your preference. Here's a couple shots of the screens as I view them:

dataloga8rk.jpg

datalog3a9nq.jpg

I should also note that the LM-1's expandability pretty much has no limit. With the data box, you can run pretty much any number of sensors for logging.

BLOWN 5.0 FOX said:
BLACK FOX 5.0:

With your tweecer can you make long term fuel trim adjustments? What unit are you using and what was the cost? The PLX-300 has the digital display of the actual WB signal- correct? I believe that setup is roughly $320. I would love to utilize a tool like that (PLX) , however I am not sure it would be useful to actually tune - more of display/monitor. You successfully tuned your car with a tweecer your saying??? THANKS

Where in Mass are you?

What do you mean by long term? I can make changes to my AFR at a given load percentage As long as i have the TwEECer. I "re-write" the ford ROM and give it the instuctions "I" want. For example, When I put a significant amount of load on the engine, I increase the AFR to 12:1 because thats when my turbo starts to spool. I can do many many things. You name it and I can edit it (with some research of course.) I bought my PLX used, but it was like brand new. I forget what I paid for it. My display shows my current AFR in real time, yes. If I step on it, my display will change pretty much instantly. Maybe I will try to go take a pic for everyone. I'm from SE MA, and I have tuned my car once, it just takes some time to do. I'm waiting on some parts so that I can finish tuning it already :(

Edit: Here are some pics.

My car isn't really dirty, it's just the stupid flash makes all the dust stand out. I hate flash, but it's pitch black outside.
plx1.jpg

plx2.jpg

In case you are wondering, some parameters are missing because you can only log, I think 13 at a time. I dont like that, but it's not too much of a problem.
calcon.jpg

as far as Long Term, I simply meant not temporarily- but reprogram totally. As for your tweecer.. it sounds like a useful tool. I have a Superchip that I would like to get burnt - do you think if I found a shop that deals with superchips they would be able to dyno tune/burn the chip in one session/few dyno pulls? I am almost decided that I am going to have the car tuned by a professional initially, to have a bonified gaurentee. After that I will get a WB setup and link it to my autometer gauge to get a better sense of the ratio at cruising speeds for peace of mind.
Thanks for all your help - hopefully I get this thing on the road soon :fuss:

I have my PLX in the EXACT same spot as BlackFox. Lol. Seems like the perfect place to put it. I can't live without my wideband now, especially with the supercharger. I use my PMS and laptop to datalog the a/f ratio. I bought mine brand new from streetrays.com for $313 shipped. Best price I found anywhere.

in a related question, does the PMS (old and new versions) allow you datalog or would you still have to download it to a computer? The Plx seems to be the best choice of the groups so far.

The build quality on my LM-1 is top quality and it is one of the first couple hundred or so. I have used it stand alone and with my laptop, dataQ and tweecer. No complaints gives accurate results and is very flexible. May not be the best choice for a permanent install. Great for tuning.

Don

Daggar said:
I recently answered a question just like this one for someone else on this board. I run the Innovative LM-1. The data logging is all on board and laptop is not required if you don't have one. With the 9V battery installed, you can data log, unplug it from the car (two small plugs), run it into your desktop, and download and view the logs in real time. The LM-1 is able to run and calibrate itself a number of different WB sensors, so you're not limited to just one brand. Everything you need (including the RPM converter) can be had for about $425 (I think it even came with the 9V battery). There a couple of different ways you can view the logs and that's pretty much up to your preference. Here's a couple shots of the screens as I view them:

dataloga8rk.jpg

datalog3a9nq.jpg

I should also note that the LM-1's expandability pretty much has no limit. With the data box, you can run pretty much any number of sensors for logging.

im sorry, but i know you can use this to monitor air/fuel. but what all else can you do with it? can u give me a step by step procees u would go about doing? i know pretty much everything bout 5.0s but i am reall trying to learn about tweecers, im only 15 so bare with me :nice:

I have the PLX-M300 wideband controller with digital LCD display, plus I have the converter to run a standard 0-1v autometer gauge. i am also using windows based software on my laptop to log the voltage, of a few sensors like a/f and fuel pressure etc. all waiting to go in, haven't tried any of it yet, but it's definitely realtime wideband with datalogging capability for under $500.

what software is this that you are using?

Good thread.
My decision has been to go with the Innovate LC-1 ($200).
It is less expensive than the LM-1, and can be datalogged via the EGR when using the Tweecer RT.
Datalogging via the tweecer is the only feature I really care about. I don't even care if I get a display to keep in the car.

If I ever get the motor rebuilt, I'll have some feedback on it.

jason

I'd have to agree that a wideband a/f gauge soon demostrates its by far worth the money if you tend to make modifications etc.

I've had an AEM wideband for 18 months and its proved to virtually be the best gauge of the lot.

I made a custom injection and although the engine seemed to running fine and I would have used it etc it was actually a tad too lean so I then made other changes to get it right.

Without this info from the wideband I could have lost an engine.

I now have a Tweecer R/T that has yet to be installed etc but the guy that is going to set it up suggested I also use the provided AEM wire to hook it up to the EGR ECU pin and it will allow realtime a/f to be displayed with the tweecer info etc.

There's no doubt a wideband is a good investment as it instantly shows if you have an issue etc.