Rear Anti-Roll Bar Info?

89MustangGX

I have nothing productive to add!
Jul 3, 2001
Mill Creek, WA
Regarding the rear anti-roll bar. Aftermarket pieces intended for drag racing obviously make an improvment once you reach a certain point, but how detrimental would it be to go without anything (stock included)? I'm not ready to go to the aftermarket piece, but the lower control arms I was thinking about have no mounts for the factory piece.

Any thoughts or experience?

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard about taking off the front bar but never the rear bar probably cause it helps in keeping the rear components in line under heavy acceleration. On the street no bar is a no no! It will make the car wag its tail a lot!!

87gtconv said:
I have heard about taking off the front bar but never the rear bar probably cause it helps in keeping the rear components in line under heavy acceleration. On the street no bar is a no no! It will make the car wag its tail a lot!!

I believe that is extremely unlikely (or at least exaggerated). Many cars didn't have rear bars, my truck has no front or rear bar. It doesn't make it unstable to drive...

Anyone have personal experience?

I took my front sway bar off a long time ago. Really helps traction and really didn't hurt handling. More or less just balanced it better really, now the rear doesn't try to come around so much. Steering response took a beating, but overall, it does well.

The rear sway bar being deleted would make the car dip to the right rear worse than it already does.

90mustangGT said:
The rear sway bar being deleted would make the car dip to the right rear worse than it already does.

This wouldn't just be a matter of removing it, I am deciding between lower control arms that have the factory mount or those that don't (can't seem to find the ones that do it all in the style i want!). So it's not factory, it's adjustable uppers and lowers with spherical bushings, adjustable shocks, drag springs. Will I be unstable and/or really lose out on anything until I put an aftermarket piece in?

The stock bar also helps keep the rear square believe it or not and traction will suffer with out it unless you use a anti-sway....

Adam, what set-up are you looking at? I teamed up with a guy for my car who makes a trick new set-up if your interested and if it will meets what class you are running. He can provide a complete kit, anti roll and fully adjustable lowers and uppers (re-locates the instant center)

Pm or E-mail me I have the pricing and info... [email protected]

Im using Griggs Racing World Challenge lower control arms on the rear and they have no way to hook up a sway bar. The World Challenge is the top of the line, intended for racing only. I believe that Griggs cars are turning 1.3Gs using these lower control arms. They are using Watts link setups though, so maybe thats there way of controlling the lateral movement of the rear axle.

For some odd reason its not letting me post the pics. email me if you want to see the control arms installed.